Artifacts washed ashore

Jul 20, 2000
Dear Steve,

A very big thank you. I very much appreciate that you now understand what I was saying and I wish you the very best of luck when you talk to your publisher. At the very least they owe you a very big apology.

Regards and best wishes,

Lester

Jul 20, 2000
Sorry Steve,

With my apologizes I see I forgot to thank you for confirming that the book is complete; nothing omitted.

Thank you.

Lester

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
For what it's worth I thought I would add in this 'artifact story' - you can judge for yourself how fictional it is or not. In fact, some of you may have already seen it (if it was already mentioned on the threads above and I missed it, I apologize.)

I actually bought the two tape set which documented the two Jack Grimm expeditions - one was narrated (handsomely, as always) by Orson Welles and the the second by James Drury. In the second one, Drury brought out an old piece of paper upon which Grimm related this.story The 'note' was found in a bottle floating ashore in 1913 and later given to Grimm. On the page it stated something to the effect that it was written on board a sinking ship and was a cry for help. The ship was the Titanic and the note was signed by John Steward (A steward in the Verandah cafe, I believe.)

As I say, just thought I'd add this to the mix. Judge for yourself how much fact and fiction there is to this 'fishy story'.

Best regards,
Cook

G

Gavin Murphy

Well, I can add the one about the wonderful heavy, brass ornate clock behind the front desk of the Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa. I was told by staff at the hotel that it came off the Titanic.

I found this particularly odd....the clock was saved and the president of the company that built the hotel wasn't. Hmmm......

Regards,

G

G

Gavin Murphy

M,

I was just in the Chateau on Fri. and had a peak at the Sir Wil statute. On the base you can actually see Chevre's signature carved in the marble. A friend once told me that it is moved every time there is a federal election. We just had one this week (Lib. majority again) so I will have to see if it is moved! Mind, I have checked after other elections and it has always remained in place....another Titanic urban legend perhaps??

G

Dec 12, 1999
At the recent BTS convention, a canvas bag with some items in it was sold for a considerable sum. Apparently, it belonged to someone on the Titanic. The bag was found off the Canadian coast.

Dec 31, 2000
Really Jan,
Wow, do you have anymore information on it???BTW: Good to see your post.
happy.gif

All My Best,

Beverly

Jun 4, 2003
Hi all! I did not want to start a new thread so here it goes: do you have any information on possible recovered musical instruments and/or bottles from the wreckage? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jun 4, 2003
Thanks Jeremy! I now remembered that the bugler was actually shown in a National Geographic documentary! Was that one that belonged to which Titanic band? Thanks!

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hold up....what bugle? Peter Fletcher's? There was no bugle in the Titanic's band, only two types of violins, cellos and a piano. The only musical instruments I was aware of as being salvaged from the wreck included a clarinet/woodwind instrument from a passenger's effects, and a clip-on music holder. Captain Smith's megaphone was retrieved, the closest thing resembling an instrument of that fashion, and a reach at that. Can you point me to a source that tells about this bugle? Thanks!

Aug 29, 2000
Good to be together on a thread again, Professor Cherry- long time since Funnel Flicks! The only bugle I can recall was that highly fictional silver one retrieved in Raise the Titanic! Can't recall if the instrument salvaged was an oboe or a clarinet. I think a piece of a bagpipe was also retrieved.

Aug 29, 2000
Okay senior moment- wasn't it the clarinet that belonged to Howard Irvin, Henry Sutehill's friend who did not sail after all, that was found in that steamer trunk with some of his letters? Also Marjorie Newell's practice violin was lost aboard but never recovered.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hello, Shelley!
wow, it has been a long time since we've crashed upon the same thread! My second edition of Eaton and Haas' T&T book has a photo of a recovered *piccolo* - Page 70 of Susan Wels' book has a picture identified as being the "clarinet" from the possessions of Howard Irwin. I will have to pore back over my lists and television shows which featured the whole rigamarole.
I've no source onhand to confirm, but I, too thought a portion of a bagpipe was recovered, too - and certainly not in playable condition, if memory serves...

The Professor

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The most complete instrument recovered is clearly a clarinet. As Shelley says it was found in a trunk, apparently belonging to Harold Irwin. With it was a rather nice gizmo in the shape of a lyre. It had a little metal band that clipped around the clarinet and its job was to hold a small piece of sheet music. These things are handy in marching bands. It appears to be gold plated. I've got good photos of these things in a catalogue issued for an RMS Titanic exhibition.

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Steve Santini delighted us with fables of Titanic treasures 'washed ashore' in the eastern provinces of Canada - if not further adrift! The tales told by 'Maritimers' seem to originate mainly in Nova Scotia and sometimes in Newfoundland. Steve may have heard one or two from New Brunswick; I never have. But, I did hear one told me as a boy in Saint John (NB) by 'an Islander'. I wonder if Steve ever met with one set somewhere on 'P.E.I.' (Prince Edward Island)? This might be my one and only chance to hear it again!

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! Can anyone tell me whether any kind of musical instrument recovered so far was engraved? I think I have heard something about it but not for sure! Your input is much anticipated!

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
George, wasn't there an inscribed instrument recovered belonging to a band member in the fictional work Raise the Titanic?