Artifacts washed ashore

Jun 4, 2003
Yes exactly! That's where I had the impression that something of that sort actually happened in real life. Obviously, I was mistaken! Thanks for reminding me of that too!

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
No worries, George - I'd forgotten about this scene until you mentioned the engraved instrument, and reading back through the thread I see Shelley had already twigged to it as well.

Jun 4, 2003
Hi all! I read in Susan Wels' book about the Titanic that hundreds of cups with the White Star logo and several shoes were found near the debris field! Is that accurate in terms of the numbers mentioned? Were did these shoes come from? Thanks!!!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
George, when the shoes arrived on the ocean bed most of them had feet inside them. In the fullness of time, the bodies have disappeared and only the tanned leather (which is not digestible) has survived.

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Shoes, found isolated as a single pair, eerily remind us of the fact that Bob has drawn to our attention: "most of them had feet inside them." Encountering the display of a pair of shoes in the recent exhibition at the Science Museum here in London (with which, unusually, the man's coat was also recovered) was a very moving experience for me.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Could the bodies sink so deep and never floated? Were the victim trapped under anything?

Its quite a morbid fascination.....

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Years after the Lusitania disaster, one of its lifejackets washed ashore in New Jersey. Bottles with messages in them, washed ashore on the coast of Virginia from the Naronic, after it sank in 1893. However, I have never heard of any Titanic artifacts having been recovered from a shoreline. Has anyone heard that some items were washed ashore, anywhere?
I have read references before to furniture washing up on the shores of Nova Scotia. I THINK it might've been in Voices of the Carpathia, but can't 100% remember the book reference. Anyway the furniture in question was apparently from the Reading and Writing room, a sofa chair.