Artifacts

Jun 4, 2003
Hi everybody! Can anyone tell me where I could find clear and rather large photos of retrieved artifacts? I tried in Google.com but no such good results came from it. Thank you!

A

Adolf Smith

If the statue was restrained than i would guess that when the ship split that the fireplace went south out the gaping hole and hit the bottom causing the statue to break off and land in the sand somewhere

sally1976

Apr 23, 2012
liverpool uk
Hi guys I do apologise if its been mentioned on this thread already as I only managed to have a quick flick through the comments for now but have any of the artefacts been identified to certain passengers ? I would like to know who the pocket watch belonged too ? I noticed in another thread edith browns fathers pocket watch was given back to her,was this the only pocket watch found ? Many thanks

oh and did the jewellery they found in the little bag ever get identified?Would love to know who that belonged too.

Last edited:

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure i
Hello Sandro,

The statue "Artemis of Versailles" sat atop the fireplace in the Titanic's first-class lounge. It can be seen in the photograph of the lounge of Robert D. Ballard's book, "The Discovery of the Titanic."

While I am not certain as to whether or not the statue has been recovered by a submersible, I feel that it is likely. With the cherub statuette that once adorned the aft. Grand Staircase being recovered in 1993, the lounge statue seems like a good target for recovery.

However, the "Artemis of Versailles" is clearly broken. In the photograph I mentioned above, taken on the seabed, it is obvious that the left arm is missing. I am not sure that the recovery team would retrieve something that was broken, although they probably would.

I suspect that the broken arm is probably lying in the debris field someplace. Personally, I don't expect that it is around the statue itself. The statue was sitting on the fireplace in the lounge, and as the ship listed to the bow, the room would have tilted upward. The statue would have been sent soaring off the mantle and onto the floor, where it would have broken like any piece of ornamental decor in your home. When the ship broke apart, the statue would have tumbled out the gaping hole where it would have eventually hit the seabed.

I am basing the broken and missing arm on how the statue appears to me in the photograph. Perhaps it isn't broken at all; perhaps the arm is just buried in the muck of the seabed. I think I'll go ahead and ask this question before I doubt myself anymore: Is the statue "Artemis of Versailles" broken or not? I'm really beginning to doubt myself now. Also, does anyone know for certain as to whether or not it was recovered? I suspect so, seeing as how empty the debris field appeared in April of this year, when Channel 1 News sent one of its reporters down to the wreck.

Thanks.

-B.W.
Not sure if this got eventually answered but the statue is still sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Ballard never took it in 87 and for whatever reason they never recovered it after in the further expeditions