Ash Ejectors

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Details drawing into the working of the 10 ash ejectors can be found in RMS TITANIC Owners Workshop Manual or TITANIC The Ship Magnificent books. I do have a photo of the item on my iPad but has gone the blink for now to enclose. Will enclosed when fixed. It does raise an interesting question as ash ejectors where used on RMS Aquitania very similar size ship to Titanic. Yet could be used to remove water as well with the bilge pumps to. As for Aquitania could shift 4,500 tons of water per hour as for Titanic 170 tons per hour with bilge pumps only. I may be bit unfair with Titanic as lessons learnt from her loss, could of well had a change plan! Or was just the plain fact the Aquitania was built to Admiralty standards?
you somehow posted 4 duplicates lol

Nov 14, 2005
Details drawing into the working of the 10 ash ejectors can be found in RMS TITANIC Owners Workshop Manual or TITANIC The Ship Magnificent books. I do have a photo of the item on my iPad but has gone the blink for now to enclose. Will enclosed when fixed. It does raise an interesting question as ash ejectors where used on RMS Aquitania very similar size ship to Titanic. Yet could be used to remove water as well with the bilge pumps to. As for Aquitania could shift 4,500 tons of water per hour as for Titanic 170 tons per hour with bilge pumps only. I may be bit unfair with Titanic as lessons learnt from her loss, could of well had a change plan! Or was just the plain fact the Aquitania was built to Admiralty standards?
That's a good question. I did some reading awhile back on the bilge systems of liners back in Titanic's day. Seems the standard for warships was to size the bilge pumping capacity to no less than the rated amount that the feed pumps could pump. A lot of the liners built followed that. Later when the ships started to get bigger they had a formula for figuring bilge pump size that used ships displacement. But for civilian liners there was really no hard fast rule and the board of trade pretty much left it up to ships designers to come up with a value. From your post it sounds like the Aquitania might have gone even beyond that.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
I have now photo of the ash pot injector.
Ash injector.JPG

Reactions: 1 user