Assistance Request WSL RMS Republic

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi all!

Just joined up, and wanted to say hello. I'm an amateur nautical researcher, and currently engaged in researching the wreck of White Star Line's "R.M.S. Republic" in 1909, (H&W Yard # 345, Reg No.#118043)and its ramifications related to the 1912 loss of the "R.M.S. Titanic".
Working on a "sinking sequence" right now, and in need of some deck plans. I already have the 1st class accommodation plans, the deck plans of "Republic" in her "Columbus" configuration, (Courtesy of the "Titanic Commutator")and her starboard rigging profile. Right now, I am looking for copies of her 2nd & 3rd class accommodation plans. I am more than happy to settle for photocopies, or even a good scan of them. I am also willing to pay for them. (Nothing's free, and I like to make sure people helping me get value received.) Payment can either be in cash, or in trade. Price negotiable.

please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have, or to let me know if you have either of these plans, or know someone who does.

Many thanks & best regards!
John.

Dec 8, 2000
Hello John,

Sorry this isn't pertinent to your study of SS Republic, but I did want to say how pleased I am to see you here. It's also good to know that you're making real progress on your project, too. Great stuff.

Hope all is going well in the real world for you and yours, and that you've the time to take part in discussions on the board. You'd certainly fit right in and find many kindred spirits.

See you round the traps (hopefully
happy.gif
)

Regards,
Fiona

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Fiona!

Great to hear from you! (I tried posting a reply this morning, but I think I managed to mess it up...)
Hoping to get time to post more! All the overtime I've been pulling lately left me so short of time that I had to withdraw from most of the lists I belong to.
My research on "Republic" goes well. LOL! It's about all I've had time for.

Look forward to hanging out here as I get time!

Thanks again for a warm welcome!

Best regards! John.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
John, just to add to Fiona's words of welcome. I'm delighted to see someone of your calibre (both as a researcher and as a splendid bloke) come aboard.

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Inger!

And many thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to be here!

By the way, if either you or Fiona know of anyone who might have the plans I need, and can help me contact them, I'd be willing to pay a "finder's" fee. The plans would be in brochures from the 1903-1909 time period, either issued by White Star Line, Thos. Cook & Son, or any number of travel agencies. Collector's might have them. I've been trying the usual museum route, but as usual, am meeting with no success. (Usually in the form of "No Reply".)

Best regards!
John.

Sep 13, 2003
Hi John
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the starboard rigging profile of the Republic, I am very interested in this ship and disaster.

Kindest Regards

Richard

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Richard!

My apologies on taking so long to reply... The economic downturn trashed my job, and my back went out. Things are looking up now, happily. Time for me to get back to work!
On the "Republic", I would suggest you contact Capt. Martin Bayerle. All known plans belong to him, as I recall.
Though I do not believe he will be willing to release any 'til the salvage work is completed.
After that, though, he'll probably be more than happy to help out. He's a great fellow.

Best regards!
John.

Sep 13, 2003
Hi John
Thanks for that. Sorry to here about your job and back. I lost my job in the tech wreck of 2001 but got another not long after fortunately. You are probably right and he won't be interested but I will ask. Thanks you for your time.

Kindest Regards

Richard

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Richard,

I have no doubt, that once the salvage operations are concluded, Martin will be willing to help.
Mean while, many thanks for your condolences. The back has gotten better, and the job scene has been straightened out. Though I'm still out of business in the antique/militaria/nautical memorabilia selling business... They're "luxury items", and with times as hard as they are lately, there's not much resale value in the stuff.

All that aside, check out his website at:
www.rms-republic.com

I believe many of your questions can be answered there.

Best regards!
John.

Sep 13, 2003
Hi all
I notice on the R.M.S Republic site there are a number of photos of the wreck being explored last year. Unfortunately the photos are not great quality but they are interesting. Has anybody heard anything about this expedition?

Regards

Richard