Assistant Commander Harry William Dyke

Jan 5, 2001
There had previously been mystery regarding Britannic’s Assistant Captain Harry William Dyke, and how his career progressed after the sinking.

Dyke had served on Olympic from March 1913 before joining Britannic as her Assistant Captain — or Commander to use the more proper term — in December 1915.

Yet, according to Olympic’s manifest dated December 30th 1916, Dyke had joined her! Robert Hume, Britannic’s Chief, had also joined as First Officer. I know that Hume served on her in 1920 and possibly afterward (thanks to Inger for that). I haven’t fully checked the dates, but it seems possible that they could have got to Liverpool in the nick of time.

An exciting breakthrough for me — I doubt if anyone else thinks the same! — but any thoughts welcome.

Best regards,

Mark.

(P.S. I've seen some other fresh threads, I'm not ignoring them but will reply later.)

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I am sorry, I forgot about this thread and didn't reply. Not sure about good research, but I've had a few lucky leads.

The thought of going back onto an Olympic class liner -- the *only* remaining liner -- after surviving such a sinking seems curious. It was only a month or so after Britannic went down.

Best regards,

Mark.