Astor on ebay

Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier

I see on ebay that they are auctioning off the
signature of "Titanic" survivor Nanacy Astor. Now, I've heard tell stories of her heroic actions during the sinking while sittin on my maw-maw's knee, but to get her autograph..... Gee! Wow!

D

Dan Cherry

Ah, Nancy Astor, Titanic survivor she is not, but she did give the world one of the most hilarious conversations in history, something to this effect:

Astor: I say, Sir Churchill, you are drunk!
Churchill: I may be drunk, madam, but you are ugly, and in the morning, I'll be sober!

Phillip Gowan

Phillip Gowan

RIP
Another great Nancy Astorism:

"Mr. Churchill, if you were my husband, I would give you poison."

To which the great man replied: "If I were YOUR husband, madame, I would take it."

P

Pat Cook

It seems to me that Nancy Astor spent WAY too much time with Churchill!

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Gee...was there a little bit of a personality conflict between Winston and Nancy???

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

G

Geoff Whitfield

Michael - There was a bit of a personality conflict betwen Winston and EVERYBODY!

Geoff

C

Colleen Collier

How does this Astor relate (if at all) to the Astor of Titanic? Colleen

A

Amanda Sloan

No such person!
John Jacob Astor
and
Madieline Astor

no other Astor's were on board.

S

Steve Arnold

Wasn't she a member of Parliament? That would account for the clashes with Churchill. Though American born she married British and eventually became the first female MP, unless I am confusing her with a different Lady Astor.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
I think Nancy Astor was married to John Jacob Astor's brother.

Anyway this page should explain it all!

D

Dave Hudson

Amanda,
Technically, there were three Astors aboard:
John Jacob Astor IV
Madeline Astor
John Jacob Astor VI

Happy

David

T

Teri Lynn Milch

David,

Shoudn't that be John Jacob Astor V? Have we been dippin in the alcohol again? ò[sub]lower [/sub][sup] upper[/sup]
Crazy

Teri

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

No, Madeleine's son was JJ VI. Another member of the family had already used V.

Nancy Astor married Waldorf Astor, whose father was William Waldorf, a son of JJ III. William had moved to England and became a Viscount. Hence the Lady Astor. The present Viscount is William Astor.

BTW, Nancy Astor was a living doll in her youth but she's said to have changed from dominating to domineering later.

T

Teri Lynn Milch

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I hadn't realized that another family member would take the V.

Did Nancy become domineering after her husband's death?

Kate Bortner

Kate Bortner

Nancy Astor was married to JJ's cousin and she was the SECOND female MP, I believe.
-kate.