At the VERY end of the movie

• Thread starter Caroline Chavez
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Well, our Oirish friend did ha

Well, our Oirish friend did have his arm around his former dancing partner during the service on board the Carpathia, so perhaps she was not unamendable to another jig once they were rescued?

The obligatory steerage party - a must-have for Titanic flicks! I nearly wrote 'Irish Steerage Party', but the Nazi propoganda film version was crammed with sizzling gypsies by my recollection (nod to Rowan Atkinson and Gertrude Perkins there!) dancing their hearts out. And in the Barbara Stynwick film we had a bit of a jolly singalong with the college boys. Spiffy, eh?

Oddly, our family seem to have gone for Swedish, Hebrew and Anglo-Saxon first names for my generation - although we're RCs and Irish Australians going back many generations. One great-grandfather who sailed from Cobh/Queenstown in the 1870s was a Patrick Sheehan...and when we visited his home place, Kilorglin, a couple of years back, sure enough there was a 'Patrick Sheehan' pub.

C

Caroline Chavez

What is funny to me is that i

What is funny to me is that i never knew that Rose was supposed to be DeaD at the end of the movie. I always thought she was sleeping and that was maybe a dream she was having. But then i was discussing that scene with a friend of mines and she said that Rose was dead then. I was very shocked because i thought she was just Resting! lol) well thanks everyone.
-Caroline c :)

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
James Cameron leaves it up to

James Cameron leaves it up to you, Caroline. The stage directions in the script read like this: She is very still. She could be sleeping, or maybe something else. So don't let anyone tell you Rose isn't asleep and dreaming if that's your choice.

Sep 26, 1999
I never thought this subject w

I never thought this subject would ever come up again. Of course all of us Rose lovers know good and well that she is only sleeping waiting for the sequel to Titanic.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
"But then i was discussing

"But then i was discussing that scene with a friend of mines and she said that Rose was dead then. I was very shocked because i thought she was just Resting! lol)"

Caroline, what's funny to me, is the way you phrase that I suddenly have this vision of John Cleese doing the Parrot Sketch as applied to this thread: "She's not resting, she's DEAD! Bereft of life she is no more! This is an ex-Rose!"
happy.gif
(Michael Palin can take the side that she's not dead, she's just resting)

C

Caroline Chavez

Wow thank you guys. It is an i

Wow thank you guys. It is an interesting concept. Anyhow i do love the movie Titanic. ANOTHER QUESTION:::::: Did James Cameron really go down to the Titanic in the filming? Probably this is a obviouse question.. (but all of us are on this earth to learn :-( ) hehehe
happy.gif

Caroline :)

T

Tom Pappas

Good (Walter) Lord! Is

Good (Walter) Lord! Is this discussion still going on? It started six years ago this December. I am satisfied that Rose fell asleep, and dreamed that she died and went back to the ship.

Caroline,

Cameron did indeed film some of the exteriors on the wreck site, but most of it was model work in the studio. Parks Stephenson can probably fill you in on which was real, if you care.

Mar 3, 1998
Caroline,

Cameron's fir

Caroline,

Cameron's first dive on Titanic happened when he had a concept for a film about Titanic and wanted to see if the wreck could factor into that concept. My understanding is that it was during that first dive that he caught the "Titanic bug" that still drives him today. He made subsequent dives to the wreck during the course of the filming, and of course, returned to the wreck for even closer looks in 2001.

General rule of thumb when watching the exterior shots in the '97 film...if you see two submersibles in frame, then you're looking at the wreck model. If only one or none, it's probably real footage. I haven't timed it to see which has more screen time...model or actual wreck. For interiors, real footage was mixed with staged, sometimes in the same sequence (the exploration of Rose's stateroom suite is a good example...real footage of the fireplace, bathtub, and even the little white crab were mixed with carefully-matched props). Some scenes were re-creations of actual features, like the doll's head first noticed by Ballard's team.

"Ghosts of the Abyss," on the other hand, used wreck footage almost exclusively. The rest was computer-generated visual effects, which are easy enough to spot.

Then there is the wreck footage that Cameron shot but didn't use in the 1997 film. We can only hope that one day that footage will be combined with his 2001 footage and released separately for the hardcore enthusiasts.

Parks

N

Nicolas Roughol

Parks, your post makes me wond

Parks, your post makes me wonder. I recently read in a Cameron interview that while diving on the wreck in '95, he was not supposed to go inside the wreck, primarly because his bots were not designed to do such a thing (which is also the reason why he went back for GOTA with newly designed, smaller bots). He also said in that interview that while doing the latest dive in 1995, he couldn't resist and sent one of the bot inside, only he couldn't go any further than just a few feet. So when you say that some footage (fireplace, bathtub) was from the real wreck, I wonder...The bathtub looks a lot like the one in Cpt Smith's quarters (is it btw?) and therefore that footage was easy to get, but the fireplace? Was it really the fireplace from B-52? If so, how could Cameron get any footage of it back in '95?

Mar 3, 1998
Nicolas,

I am not very know

Nicolas,

I am not very knowledgeable about passenger accommodations, so you'll have to figure out which stateroom I'm talking about from the description. Cameron was able to get his ROV into the starboard-side "Millionaire's suite" on B Deck from the Grand Staircase in 1995. The brass firebox from the fireplace and bath from that suite were filmed. He also took the ROV farther down the GSC to the D-deck landing and explored a bit of the Reception Room area there. The footage of the door grates leading to the Dining Saloon was real.

The reason why he could get these was because they were easily accessible from the GSC. The stateroom was right off the stairwell, so Cameron did not have to penetrate far. Snoop Dog was too large to enter into the interior of the wreck through any other opening.

RMSTI had the same problem in '93 (I think) when they sent Robin through the skylight in the Marconi Room. They could penetrate a few feet, but the ROV was too big to look around the wall to find the transmitting apparatus on the other side. So close, but no banana.

I don't believe that footage of Captain Smith's bathtub was shot in '95, but I could be wrong on that. The tub was definitely shot during the 2001 expedition and subsequently used in GotA.

Parks

N

Nicolas Roughol

Parks,

Thanks a lot for cle

Parks,

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. From what you said, looks like Cameron managed to film the firebox and bathtub from the B51-B53-B55 suite. I also do remember now someone saying that although that footage was supposed to be of the port side (B52 being on the port), it was instead of the starboard side. If I had remembered it earlier, I wouldn't have had to ask you ;)

Jul 12, 2003
This scene isn't at the ve

This scene isn't at the very end but before the very end...I was just cruising some scenes in the movie...while looking at the one where Rose is blowing on the whistle to attract the attention of the returning lifeboat...is it me or is the sound of the whistle not in sync with her blowing on the whistle...it seems a fraction of a second off...somebody take a look and tell me if they see the same thing please.

N

Nicolas Roughol

Deborah,

I didn't notic

Deborah,

I didn't notice such a thing on my DVD. I guess your eyes are deceiving you. It probably comes from the fact that Rose's character is almost frozen to death and has many difficulties to blow the whistle distinctely.

M

Mary S. Lynn

Was "Snoop Dog" a real

Was "Snoop Dog" a real or contrived virtual thing? Or was it a cinematic combination? I thought Bodine's overreactive arms paralleled his overreactive and profanic "interesting forensic analysis". Made for good viewing, though, eh?

Aside: Reason for TEST was due to the inability of most of today to get onto this Board. Blackout?? NortonVirus failure??

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks Nicolas...I guess my im

Thanks Nicolas...I guess my imagination (always a dangerous thing) got the better of me.

Jun 8, 2003
Caroline: The end was meant to

Caroline: The end was meant to be all the people who died on the titanic..that rose liked lol even tho for sum reason rose is there even tho she didnt die on the titanic...
Its a romantic movie doesn't make sense lol

B

b. hellekson

I saw cal clapping on the end

I saw cal clapping on the end but it maybe just my tape cause it seems like everyone out there has very strong opinions on this subject

Jul 12, 2003
I, too, would like to know whe

I, too, would like to know where Cal was spotted in the final scene...it doesn't make sense for him to be there...if he was, then Ruth and Spicer should be there also...all we need is a copy of the script or a breakdown of the final scene or a copy of the call sheet for that scene...one or all of those will let us know who was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.