Atlantic crew

Jan 3, 2001
James,

Two books on the shipwreck that I have read are The Two Atlantics by Keith Hatchard ISBN1-55109-305-7 and The Coal was there for Burning by
C.H. Milsom. They are both very good reads, the
latter concentrating more on the miscalculation
of coal available and the inquiry surrounding
Capt Williams decision to change route.

Rosanne MacIntyre

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
i found theese names
James Agnew Williams (captain)survived aged 33
Henry Ismay Metcalf (2nd officer)died
Cornelis* Brady (3rd officer)survived
? Brown (4th officer)survived
Robert Thomas (qaurtermaster)?
Joseph Carrol (lookout)?

*did i spell 3rd officer Bradys name right?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
James---

There's a complete passenger and crew list in The Two Atlantics, one of the books Rosanne mentioned in her message.

Third Officer Cornelius Brady was one of the heroes of Atlantic's sinking; he, along with Quartermaster Speakman, swam to shore and secured the lines across which most of Atlantic's survivors reached safety.

Some months later, Brady was involved in another extraordinary incident. In February 1874, the American Line flagship Pennsylvania, on a Liverpool-Philadelphia crossing, was battered for five days by a tremendous storm. At midnight on the night of 27-28 February, one large wave carried away the bridge and wheelhouse and five crew members, including the Captain and the first and second officers. The ship's only surviving officer, third officer Charles Rivers, had never served on a steamer before and refused to take command, leaving the ship in the charge of a quartermaster at the midships wheelhouse. Brady, who held a master's certificate, was aboard as a passenger, and had been assisting the carpenter when all of this happened. Upon learning that the ship was effectively not under command, he took charge, and issued a series of orders that enabled the ship to survive the storm, which broke the next morning. He then commanded her safely to Lewes, Delaware, where a pilot came on board. Pennsylvania arrived in Philadelphia on 9 March, the 17th day of what was typically a 10 or 11 day trip.

Rivers was retired. Brady was given $1,000 and a resolution of thanks by the Line's Board of Directors for saving the lives of the thirteen other passengers and those of the surviving crew, not to mention a $600,000 ship and its $250,000 cargo. In an ensuing lawsuit, Brady was awarded $4,000, plus $200 costs, for his efforts.

There's an absolutely gripping retelling of Brady's involvement with Pennsylvania in Flayhart's The American Line, which is the source for what I've just written.