Atlantic Daily Bulletin New Look Great Stuff

May 12, 2005
All,

I have begun this new thread so that we can put to the past the saga of the ADB postal misfortune. Also as the journal is having a fresh editorial start, why not a good, positive reception for it?

First of all, I was delighted to receive my copy of the ADB yesterday and was struck by the streamlined new look of the cover and page lay-out. Great improvements.

I would like to welcome the journal's new editor, David Hill, and congratulate him as well as Steve Rigby and Geoff Whitfield on a fine issue indeed.

Also I'd like to send thanks and good wishes to retiring editor Brian Ticehurst for his tireless dedication to BTS.

For those not members yet of what is really one of the finest Titanic organizations, operated by the best group of people I think there is in any society, I recommend you do so.

The current issue of the membership journal is a feast of original work by some of the brightest researchers and writers contributing to any Titanic publication today and I just think it will be a shame for anyone to miss out on the enjoyment to be had in reading these articles.

The present ADB includes David Haisman's study of the "lookouts," a profile of the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse by Ian Tregale, a story by Peter Davies-Garner about his Titanic model-building, G.G. Connor's piece on the Nomadic, David Hill's account of the Maritime Volunteer Service's Titanic exhibition, a story on the Laurentic by Christopher Wardlow, Mark Chirnside's account of Britannic's engines, an explanation of Titanic's distress rockets by Bruce Beveridge, and Jim Buchan's biography of the Kronprinzessin Cecile.

The journal's lead feature, as has been much discussed (and rightly so), is Phil Gowan's and Brian Meister's extensive and provocative biography of Titanic's embattled quartermaster, Robert Hichens. This is no revisionist, sentimental attempt but a frankly and deftly told story with all the insight and thoroughness that is a hallmark of the research of Meister and Gowan.

My hat is off to all connected with this most interesting issue of the ADB. And special congrats again to Geoff, Steve and David for a very, very fine job!

Randy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Randy, I can't think of anything to top what you just said. I read the Hichens article today and it was well worth the wait. I'm looking forward to more in the future. I got a kick out of David Haisman's article too. Especially that part about having to climb up approximately 110 rungs on a ladder in the mast to get to the crow's nest. Anyone who would survive a climb like that would get physically fit real quick if they knew what was good for them. At least the post he spoke of was sheltered...sort of.

Anytime I was on lookout, it was in fog, on rough seas and up forward in the eyes of the ship. Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Mine arrived yesterday, but somebody tore out the foldout of Geoff Whitfield on the bearskin rug!

Great new look for the ADB; kudos to Geoff, Steve and Dave!

All my best,

George

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Got mine yesterday as well and have just started gulping it down. Excellent mag all around. And it reminds me that I owe David Hill a cigar in the bar - we never DID get around to having one last year.

Sir George wrote: "Mine arrived yesterday, but somebody tore out the foldout of Geoff Whitfield on the bearskin rug!"

I'll send you one - for some reason I got two of them. I think I'm blind.

wrote by rote,
Cook

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hmmm...these last few posts make me very wary of opening a certain envelope that's been sitting on my desk since Friday. After all, there are young children here.

;-)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wouldn't worry about it, but then I never got around to having kids. Gotta see the eye doctor though. For some reason, my vision went blurry.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
eh.gif

Nov 22, 2000
Yes, it was a nice photograph although I have to admit a preference for the one with just the rose in my mouth, Behe having kindly stowed my teeth away in his pocket.

Geoff

Dec 7, 2000
Geoff,

I still haven't got my copy. I'm not complaining at all, I understand the troubles that have recently been experienced with the Post Office. I just wish I could see what everyone else is raving on about!
happy.gif
Or should I be lucky that I can still see since I don't have the magazine ;)

Anyone got two copies and would be happy to sell me the spare one?

Regards,

Daniel.

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Daniel,

The Australian ones have gone off again - should be with you shortly. The next issue is at the printers and expected back any day. If this lot thought my photo in the last issue was exciting.....just wait for the current one!

May 8, 2001
Don't worry, The ADB has a rose centerfold, but not a "ROSE" centerfold.
shock.gif

Still, caution is suggested when opening it. I plan on putting mine on the front door at the end of October.
smile.gif

May 8, 2001
I JUST HEARD THE NEWS! Though it is supposed to be top secret, I must inform all to watch the mailbox closely for the current issue. I heard it from a reliable source that it will include a centerfold of the wound Behe sustained while stowing Whitfield's teeth in his hip pocket in aforementioned photo shoot....
shock.gif

Gasp... How do I cancel my subscription....NOW!
wink.gif

B

Brian Hawley

Almost totally off topic but here goes! It is my understanding that a WW2 poster is peeling and in bad shape but still affixed to the base of the mast just behind this 110 rung ladder onboard QM. I have high hopes of climbing up to the crows nest on my next trip out to see her! I will let everyone know what the climb is like for someone who is a bit afraid of heights but loves liners to distraction.

Brian