Atlantic

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I've not seen this film, which I gather was rather loosely based on the Titanic story. Apparently it was designed to avoid legal proceedings from White Star.

I have found White Star's letter to the Board of Trade, asking if something can be done to stop the film making English shipping lines look stupid. It's a right old wail from the fumblers who gave us Titanic, Atlantic, Naronic, etc.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/titanic/tmovies.shtml

P

Paula Crighton

Dear Dave, When I first Heard Of this movie, I was so excited, I searced And Searched until I found it. I finally found Atlantic 1929 At Amazon, The name was changed To Titanic, and it comes in a two pack meaning you get a titanic documentary as well. I watched the movie the same day i recieved it, and i was greatly dissapointed you can barely see the film and its very to understand the dialog, and the actresses are most definitely dressed in Roaring twenties clothing not exactly accurate for 1912,I mostly just watch the documentary because it is the most interesting of the two. Even though the movie is not very good, Im still happy to add it to my collection, cause I heard somewhere that its the first Titanic movie to have sound.But please dont watch this if you want to see a good Titanic movie. You will be dissapointed .

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Paula:
If you could please, let us know the exact title, who produced it, the distributor, ISBN number and any other info that would help us spot it. Thanks.

P

Paula Crighton

Dear Mike, I would be very happy to give you the information you asked for, I purchased the video from WWW.AMAZON.COM, you can either buy the movie in a two pack or one full length video tape ,with the movie and documentary on it, they're both priced at $9.99. Im sorry i dont know who the producer is, but i'ts distributed by Brentwood Home Video, The ISBN number is 1-57119-665-x The film is done in Black and White and it's approx 150 min.When you go to amazon just type in the word Tianic ,in the video and dvd search box and it will come right up with all the search results. I believe its at the bottom of the search page it will read Titanic/Titanic tragedy.If you have any questions just email me, I would be happy to answer any Questions you may have.

P

Paula Crighton

Dear Mike,Just a Quick note, you may also ask me any Questions you have on this message board, I'm always checking it too see whats new. Love Paula Crighton.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Paula:
Received my copy of what was originally called "Atlantic" from Amazon today and watched the show. It's distracting how many parts of the film have become brightened or darkened over the years, and the acting is not very good, but it is a welcome addition to my video collection.

I bought ISBN 1-57119-694-3, which sounded like it was the two tapes combined into one large one, but it turned out to be the movie only and no documentary was included. The jacket on the video was deceiving in another way. It says this is a "classic late fifties theatrical production," when the movie was actually produced in 1929. Based on the jacket description I would have never bought this tape, so I thank you for pointing it out.

Parts of the movie were pretty ridiculous -- like the collission with the ice-cube, err iceberg. The big bar scene before the sinking was also quite far-fetched.

But little things struck me. One was the short scene where one of the soon to drown sailors is looking sadly at the tatoo of his loved one on his arm. The lifeboat scenes were good also, but some of the women sure put up a fight, didn't they.

After watching the video, I pulled "The Titanic in Pictures" by Simon Mills off the shelf and read up on the history of this movie. It's amazing how clear the pictures of the movie are in the book. Perhaps they came from promotional material and not from the movie.

According to Mills, two movies were made -- one in English and one in German. The former version did not stress the obvious similarity to the story of the Titanic. When the German version was released, however, it was used as anti-British propaganda just like the later 1943 movie, and the connection to Titanic and White Star Lines war stressed heavily.

Mills says that the ship used for this film was probably the P&O liner Mooltan.

If you don't have this book already, get it. ISBN 1 899493 00 X.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Randy:
Do you have a copy of it? How's the quality?
As Paula mentioned, and I concur, its hard to watch the one that comes in the two part set.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
There is one part of "Atlantic" which I feel is very innovative, yet simplistic - eloquent but shattering. The last scene in the movie with many of those left on the ship gathered, waiting for the end. Some praying, some singing, some reading, some playing cards as the ship lists. Then, a sudden lurch and all the lights go out and we (the audience) are left in the dark, only to hear the sounds of furniture crashing, crockery breaking and men, women and children dying. Then....'The End'.

THAT, I believe, speaks volumes and drives the point home.

Just an opinion.

Best regards,
Cook

C

calhockley

Yuck! I'm watching it as I post and its horrible! The acting seems like it is for the stage with the overly done expressions and drawn out speeh. The iceberg seems to be wheeled up to the side of the ship! The interior of the ship looks like a hotel was used instead of a liner. The bar scene with the old chap in the wheelchair is so bad I can't see how it flew even in 1929. The after hitting the berg shots of the ship are done in daylight! Aw well enough said, it only cost $4.99 so can't complain about the price at least. Maybe I'll sit in the pool with a life jacket and a video camera and make my own version, hehe!
Bill

Thomas Ford

Jun 22, 2010
Hi everyone.
does anyone know what the grandstaircase in "atlantic" looked like i saw only a fragment of the film of water cascading down the stairs,did it look like the real titanic's stairs in any way?