Attached Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As far as I can see, all attached images have disappeared from threads over a year old. Maybe more recent ones too and maybe not all threads, but I'm checking them at random so I can't be sure. Does anyone have any idea what's caused this and whether we can expect to see the images restored? This might be a consequence of the system crash (or whatever) which took the site offline for a few days several weeks ago. And it's still going offline for shorter periods on most evenings, but maybe that's just my system as nobody else has mentioned this?

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Bob, Phil could confirm this better than I, but it seems that none of the pictures, etc., that were attached to messages survived the move from the Discus software to vBulletin, which took place about a year ago.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Thanks, Mark. It's true that posts made very recently still have their attachments, but I'm sure most if not all of the older ones were still intact until much later than that change. If I remember right, vBulletin knocked out the images in a few threads which had been created shortly before that change but didn't affect older threads that were created in the original message board before it became the 'new' mb several years ago. I regularly search for my old postings so I can link them to help answer questions in new ones, and very often while I'm doing that I sample a few older threads just to check whether all is well with them. I believe the image attachments in the threads from the 'old' message board went missing quite recently - a few months if not weeks ago. Looking at the html for the pages, the file references for images are still there but presumably the paths are no longer valid.

If it's relevant at all, when doing my last check a few weeks ago I found that even in some very recent threads (made in the vBulletin era) the images were 'coming and going' - sometimes they were there, a few minutes later they'd gone, a few more minutes and they reappeared. This seems to have stabilised, but the older ones are still gone. If they're gone for good, that's a very sad development. I for one will have hundreds of posts out there which no longer make any sense. One could argue, of course, that none of my posts make much sense anyway, but that's beside the point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.