Attack of Sydney Harbor

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Actually she did launch aircraft to go to Pearl that morning,...<<

Ahhhhhhhh...so my memory wasn't being completely tricky with me. Now that you mention that they were SBD's, that clearifies things a bit. Small wonder that at least one of them got shot up. It's not as if they were designed to turn and burn with a fighter and they would have been easy meat for a Zero.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Hi Michael,
Here is a link to details-
http://www.cv6.org/1941/1941.htm
The carrier air groups of the time mirrored the ship's hull number, so Enterprise (CV-6) tould have have had an air group consisting of;
VF-6 Fighting Six
VS-6 Scouting Six
VB-6 Bombing Six
VT-6 Torpedo Six
The Bombing and Scouting squadrons both flew SBD-3s, the bomb loal depended whether the mission was scouting (500lb) or bombing (1000 lb).
Although the squadrons were divided, they could perform either type of mission as required.
The Fighter squadrons flew F4F-3 and F4F-3A Wildcats, and the Torpedo squadron flew TBD Devastators.
Probably the best source I have ever read on this period was "The First Team" by Lindstrom.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The Australian National Maritime Museum last week hosted a meeting between the relevant Federal and State heritage authorities and the No-Frills divers, Trevor - chaired by the DEH, it was very productive.

Now that the site has been revealed through the publication of the exclusion zone, I was amazed at just how close it is (I could look out the window from where I'm typing this and se any boats that were anchored above the wreck).

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wonder if the authorities might ultimately have to bury the wreck to prevent it's being molested. Any sentimentality aside, the ordnance still aboard presents a substantial hazard, and even with the best survaillance, there's always some idiot willing to take the gamble.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Hi Inger, Hope you are well and had a good christmas, the day ended up being not to bad after the cloudy start. I unfortunately had to work but have a 5 day break now and get my kids tomorrow for a few days, santa is coming to my place tomorrow night. I am glad to hear that the no frills divers are being included in any discussions, they could have quite easily just torn what they liked off the wreck, however they did the right thing and listed their find.

Mike, Best wishes for the season. Yes protecting the wreck is going to be the hard thing now. It is within easy reach, I could get to it in about forty minutes from my place in my boat. Covering it with sand may be the only option, it would at least slow down the amateur treasure hunters.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Trevor! I had a brilliant Christmas - even with that slightly overcast start (I seem to remember we all wound up on the balcony eventually). Good to hear you're getting some time off now.

The DEH and NSW Heritage Trust are very conscious of the safety issues involved, and surveys of the wreck are continuing in order to determine how to best deal with potentially hazardous material. Obviously I can't comment on the meetings that took place in any specific detail, but the departments involved are very much across the issues involved with the difficulties of wreck site protection and are looking at various means of conserving the wreck and monitoring the location (I've sat in before on a shipwreck preservation meeting hosted by the Commonwealth - these guys know their stuff). And yes - the Divers who discovered the wreck are being kept in the loop.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The position of the wreck has now been published in the course of declaring the prohibited area around it. It's about two nautical miles off Newport. The sub managed to stagger about 10 miles north of Sydney Heads. Everything that floats must have been passing over it for years.

I think burial might be the best option.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

The position of the wreck has now been published in the course of declaring the prohibited area around it.
As I mentioned above, Dave ;) The location - complete with a map - was front page news a couple of weeks ago in the Manly Daily, which has been giving the story extensive coverage.

I'm amazed it made it as far as it did - I thought it remarkable when the location was given out as somewhere off Long Reef, but this is even further north!​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Sydney Morning Herald:

Japanese submariners remembered in NSW
quote:

Relatives of two Japanese sailors who died when their M24 midget submarine was lost during World War II will attend a memorial service at sea off Sydney on Monday.

>>snip<<

Relatives of the two submariners and dignitaries from Australia and Japan will attend the service at the HMAS Kuttabul naval base at Garden Island.
Full story at http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Japanese-submariners-remembered-in-NSW/2007/08/03/1185648130453.html

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Australian:

Ceremony ends missing sub saga
quote:

AFTER bowing deeply, Kazuko Matsuo dropped to her knees and placed a wreath on the memorial to the 21 young Australian and British sailors killed during a sneak attack on Sydney Harbour by three Japanese midget submarines 65 years ago.

Ms Matsuo, the niece of Commander Keiu Matsuo, one of the six Japanese submariners killed in the midnight raid, had tears in her eyes as she stood, turned and bowed again to Japanese Ambassador Hideaki Ueda and Australian Chief of Navy Vice-Admiral Russ Shalders.
Full story at http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22200935-31477,00.html