Attitudes and Class Distinction

Dec 2, 2000
My grandmother was first class and my grandfather was a crew member on British Ships during the 1912 period. My grandmother related to DuPonts and Morgans was placed in special schools and attended Cornell University from which she graduated as a teacher. She was disowned when she married my grandfather and was always reminded that she could come back if she did so without my grandfather. The depression brought many things to their family, but she never left. He died in 1950. My grandmother never remarried and never chose money over her husband (in life or death she loved and respected him). They raised 5 great children. A nurse, a lawyer, a newspaper editor, an executive secretary, and an artist.

She chose love and poverty over a very wealthy lifestle. Whether it matches a profile of 1912 or not, it did happen.

I was married to a Cal once long ago and would never had ever had to work and yet I left that safety net in order to live.

Then I allowed all the accepted social "things" weigh me into the ground and trap me. Then I met a "Jack" late in life who really saved me.

My "Jack" I think has no clue that he did this.

Women who are in abusive situations rarely escape the gravitational pull from the relationship unless they truly meet someone who can show them that they are valuable enough to escape and that they can be successful.

If you have never been there, you can not even imagine it.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
'Way to go there, Maureen! If only all the men were as gentle and supportive as "Jack" and less like "Cal." There are just too many of us "Roses" that need saving.

Kyrila

Jun 18, 2007
>There are just too many of us "Roses" that need saving.

Some of us had no one to rescue us. Even Rose in the end had to use a whistle to get someone's attention.

C

Camron Miller

I can never quite make up my mind. On the one hand, I have known people whose parents owned stately homes, with double-barrelled, hyphenated names, who were very nice and friendly. On the other hand, I know some people who look down on others. In the end, a lot is down to how you look. I always feel uncomfortable and self-concious in department stores like Harrods, Selfridges, Macys, etc, and a friend of mine was quietly asked to leave Harrods without making a fuss for wearing denim cut-off shorts in July.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Jason, Richard, and Stacie~

I must say I agree with all of you. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the behaviors and attitudes were missed or portrayed incorrectly in the film. Whether that was Cameron's idea for it to be more appealing for the younger generation or not, I don't know.

KB

M

Marykate Viola

I agree. Not all rich people were evil snobs. I'm sure some were perfectly good people

T

Tom Pappas

To his credit, Cameron did show the stoic gallantry of Astor and Guggenheim. But what struck me was that he found it necessary to invent an evil snob to advance his agenda.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Considering the flap that ensued over Murdoch's posssible suicide and improbable bribe, invention of the 'evil' Cal was a good move on Cameron's part!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Indeed! Remember that Titanic novel that utilised the very real Crafton as a villain? It was one of the murder mysteries - the author justified it by claiming that nothing was known about the real Crafton, and the name just sounded too good to pass up for an evil-doer.