Auguste Louis Coutin

Apr 27, 2011
Good morning everybody,

I'm a 19 year-old member of the "Association Française du Titanic".
I'm an university student at Chambéry, a lovely city in France.
Here was born on 1884 Auguste Coutin, Entreé Cook of the A la Carte Restaurant...

I'm actually searching informations about him.
I consulted the archives, and I found a thing or two about him and his family, from 1881 to 1912.

If you're in possession of a document dealing with Auguste Coutin, please let me know...

Many thanks for your time and your comprehension

Best wishes,

Franck

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Franck. Hopefully you will share the information you have, as you may be able to tell us more about Mr Coutin than we can tell you! Apart from the basic details in his biography page here at ET, I have only the record of a single payment by the Titanic Relief Fund for the support of his parents and his children. This amount was 130 pounds, which would be the equivalent today of around 8,000 pounds sterling or 12,000 Euro. Coutin was a widower. While onshore he had lodgings in Southampton, but it seems likely that his children remained in France with their grandparents. Any corrections or additional information would be appreciated.

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your interest.

Of course I will share the many informations I have. I'll up-date the biography soon.
I did'nt know the "stuff" about "the record of a single payment by the Titanic Relief Fund for the support of his parents and his children."

Yes, you're right, he was a widower. He may lost his wife, née Foret, a few months before the wreckage.
He also had two daughters, born in 1908 and 1910, I think so. Their names are written on the Coutin's memorial, at Charrière Neuve cemetary, next to Chambéry, France. I'm going to do some researches about them...
I took several photos of the grave yesterday, and I will add it to the biography.
Can you tell me if the "the record of a single payment by the Titanic Relief Fund for the support of his parents and his children" is available on the Internet ? If it's not the case, would you be able to sent to me a copy of the record ? I can pay, of course, your copy. Or, if you prefer, I can send to you copies of many articles taken from the French newspapers of 1912, dealing with Archibald Gracie, Bruce Ismay, John "Jack" Phillips, Auguste Coutin, John Piepont Morgan...

Anyway, of course, I will add your name to the aknowledgments/Sources/Contributors of the biography.

I will add soon informations about 1st class passenger Alfred Fernand Omont, as his son François Omont is a friend of mine.
I'm actually doing a complete biography.

I'll mail everybody as soon as the Coutin's biography is available on ET.

I thank you very much once again for your help.

Best regards,

Franck

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Thanks for the extra information, Franck. Sorry, I don't have anything to add from the Relief Fund and I haven't seen the original page of the minute book or account sheet from which the payment details were taken. This would have included only a very brief listing along with details of payments to many other dependents, but there are other members here who might have a little more from that source and will hopefully post.

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer,

I have learnt something else about Auguste Coutin at Southampton, thanks to Brian Ticehurst - who is definitely very nice.
I'll add every informations I found on the Auguste COUTIN's biography soon.

Thanks once again for your help.

Best regards,

Franck

Apr 27, 2011
Good afternoon everybody,

I found some new stuffs about Auguste Louis Coutin, thanks to 3 new documents sent by the town hall of Chambéry.

- birth certificate of his son (London, 1904).
- marriage certificate of Auguste Coutin (London, 1905)
- birth certificate of his daughter (London, 1908)

I need someone's help one more time. Is there anyone who lives in London ?

I know Coutin had two houses there in 1904 (when was born his son Robert) and in 1908 (when was born his daughter Marcelle). His wife Ernestine (née Fournier) and he married in London, in 1905.
I'm almost sure Auguste Coutin left London in 1911 in order to settle down in Chambéry, when he became a widower. In fact, the same birth and marriage certificates were translated in French in Chambéry, gone back to July, 13th, 1911.
Can anybody find the death certificate of Ernestine Coutin, née Fournier, in 1911 (probably just a little while before July, 13th) ?

Is somebody ready to be another contributor of the Coutin's biography ?

I'm actually in my University and I forgot at home the addresses of Coutin's houses in London.
I'll tell you these ones tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Best regards

Franck

Apr 27, 2011
Good evening everybody,

I finally realized a short biography about Auguste Louis COUTIN, at the following address :

[snip : restricted url]

Thanks to Brian Ticehurst and Bob Godfrey one more time. They helped me and they are nice...

Very best regards,

Franck GAVARD PERRET

Apr 27, 2011
Hi everybody,

I found that the Coutin's residences were in Holborn, London, and St Pancras, London.

I also know that he worked in one of the 2 Gatti restaurants in London.

Is there anyone there who is able to give me the addresses of the 2 restaurants ?
Can someone find in which restaurant Coutin worked ?

It would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Very best regards,

Franck

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Franck. The two Gatti restaurants were actually very close together, both situated on the north side of a long street in central London called The Strand. Both establishments were at the western end, close to Trafalgar Square. Gatti's Strand was the larger of the two, and closer to the Square. A short distance away was Gatti's Adelphi, a smaller restaurant attached to the famous Adelphi Theatre, which was itself owned and managed by the Gatti family. It's likely that many Gatti employees had worked in both restaurants at one time or another.

There is still a Gatti's Restaurant in London, but it's far away from either of those two locations.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
I recall a Gatti's in Southampton near the Bargate but it was more 'fast food' than 'gueridon'. Possibly trading on the association but I apologise if I do them a disservice.

Apropos of nothing in particular there was another very celebrated Italian restaurant in the Strand, Romano's; much associated with Edwardian high jinks. I don't think it survived WWII.

Noel

Apr 27, 2011
I'd like to thank both Bob and Noel, because of your help.

I think I'm going to buy some postcards in which we can see Trafalgar Square and Adelphi Theatre.
Do you think I'm likely to see the Gatti's restaurants on ?
Have you ever seen the kind of postcard I'm looking for ?

Thanks a lot once again,

Very best regards,

Franck

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Franck, I should tell you that I have doubts that the Gatti of Titanic fame had any connection with the Gatti brothers who owned those restaurants and the Adelphi theatre. They were Swiss, whereas 'our' Gatti was Italian and according to his biography here on ET he was the only one of his family to come to England. The Gatti brothers' restaurants offered good quality food for a reasonable price, rather than the top quality (and top priced) service obtainable at venues like the Savoy, under the management of the famous Monsieur Ritz.

Gaspare (Luigi) Gatti is known to have worked at Oddenino's Imperial Restaurant, which was located in Regent Street near Piccadilly Circus, and possibly earlier for Mr Ritz at the Savoy. Oddenino himself had earlier managed the Cafe Royal, another of London's top restaurants. This was the background that prepared Gatti for running the 'Ritz' restaurants on the Olympic and Titanic. Here's a rare photo of the grille room at Oddenino's, taken at about the time that Gatti was working there.

100829.jpg

Apr 27, 2011
Hi dear "reliable" Bob,

Thanks once again for your answer, you're always satisfying. I'll take care of the information you brought.

Very Best regards,

Franck

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
>>The Gatti brothers' restaurants offered good quality food for a reasonable price,<<

Except there was a famous society suit for a case of food poisoning. A late-night omelette, I think.

I'll see if I can dig it out. The story is rather like Gatti food - good in parts.

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Hi Franck,

This is the case -

Alleged Poisonous Omelette at a Restaurant
Davis & Davis v. A. & . S. Gatti

(Before Mr Justice Pickford and a common Jury)

The hearing of this action was continued this morning in which Mr and Mrs (Lewis) Davis sued Messrs Gatti for alleged breach of warranty in supplying at a supper party at this restaurant, the Adelaide Gallery [Adelaide Street], in August last [August 3, 1910], a mushroom omelette which made Mrs Davis ill.
The plaintiffs’ case was closed after the closing of further medical testimony and the evidence of two other ladies who partook of the mushroom omelette at the party in question [both of whom did not finish their meals and subsequently felt unwell, whereas Mrs Davis developed abdominal pains, high temperature and a rash subsequently diagnosed as ‘associated with fungal poisoning.’]
Sir Frederick Low, KC [for the defence], then submitted that as far as Mrs Davis was concerned, no action lay. The plaintiffs had alleged no negligence and based their case solely on breach of warranty and there was no privity of contract between her and Messrs Gatti.
Mr Justice Pickford expressed his doubt whether, if a man asked a party to supper at a restaurant, there was any implied warranty of the quality of the food as between the caterer and guests, but His Lordship reserved his position on the point on Sir Frederick Low saying that he did not wish to shirk a full investigation of the case.
Evidence for Messrs Gatti
Evidence was then given by the defendants’ storekeeper that the mushrooms were purchased from George Monroe (Limited), of Covent Garden, on the day in question and were bought as forced, fresh mushrooms at 1s a lb, “the best in the market,” and that they appeared to be quite fresh and in good condition. They were examined before going down to the kitchen.
There were tinned mushrooms in the restaurant which were sold to customers. They came from France and were “button” mushrooms, not suitable for omelettes and he never used them.
The vegetable cleaner at the Adelaide Gallery said that he examined and peeled the mushrooms. They were forced mushrooms and none of them were bad or decayed. He had never found a bad mushroom among those he peeled.
The man who cooked the three omelettes in question said that about ten mushrooms were used. He washed them first, sliced them up, put them in butter, and mixed them with the omelettes. They were not preserved mushrooms but good fresh English ones. He never used preserved things for omelettes. There were nine eggs in the omelettes, which were cooked separately, though the materials had been mixed. The mushrooms used had arrived that morning.
The present manager, who was chef at the restaurant, said he used to examine the mushrooms before they were peeled, and only fresh ones were used. They were short of mushrooms during the whole of August. The tinned mushrooms were only used for chicken cutlets.
Mr Lin, of Worthing, said he had a large business supplying forced or cultivated mushrooms. He sold none from the fields. On August 12th he sent a consignment of 61 lb to George Monroe (Limited) in baskets covered with white paper. They had been picked that morning. He had grown mushrooms for over 30 years, and never had a complaint, though he sent them as far as Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Dr Halden Davies, FRCS, MRCP, MB, said that a mushroom omelette was an indigestible form of supper, and the way Mrs Davis arranged her day gave the mushroom omelette the best chance of disagreeing with her.
“There is no mention in the books,” said Dr Davies, “Of any rash as a symptom of fungal poisoning.” He had known a case of a lady who, after eating mushrooms for many years without harm, suddenly became susceptible to them and had not been able to eat them since.
Mr Justice Pickford, in summing up, counselled the jury in the event of their finding the defendants liable, to assess the damages of Mr and Mrs Davis separately, in order that the legal question of the defendants’ liability to Mrs Davis might be argued.
The jury found a verdict for the defendants, for whom judgment was entered with costs.

[The Times, January 26, 1911. p. 3)

Apr 27, 2011
Hi Senan,

I have to thank you a lot for this very interesting article taken from The Times.
I had never heard something about this document before.

Best regards,

Franck