Aussies Note Blue Ribband on TV

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
On Sunday 7 January at 6-00pm, the ABC will be showing a program about the Blue Ribband in general and the Queen Mary/Normandie battle in particular.

Check your local guides, as daylight saving varies across the wide, brown land.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Thanks Dave, I will be sure to tune in for that- I actually caught a good documentary on the battleship Bismarck on SBS yesterday afternoon quite by chance....Thanks.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The show proved to be a very good one. There was colour film of both ships, great footage of the launches, especially Queen Mary, and good shots of both ships at speed.

If you think people got excited about the Olympic ships, you should see the films of the first arrivals of Normandie and Queen Mary in New York.

There was real footage of shipbuilders at work. It was far more convincing than the faked up scenes in The Birth of the Titanic. An enthusiastic Scotsman told some of the hard facts of shipbuilding at the time.

Overall, it was one of the better efforts I've seen. It's part of a series called Speed Machines.

L

Lynda Franklin

Is it me or are there only UK and Aussie's on this board who look up tv progams ?Being from North America this doesn't help me much .

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Lynda, apart from the fact that Oz is full of wonderfully helpful chaps like me, (pause to blow trumpet) it may have to do with our TV services.

We have three commercial channels, plus the two government channels, ABC and SBS. There is one main pay TV service. There are a few minor channels for special regions.

If we assume that the three commercial channels are mere purveyors of trash, that leaves the ABC and SBS, plus three channels devoted to history on pay TV, that may have something to offer.. It's not too hard to check programs for things likely to interest this intelligent forum.

L

Lynda Franklin

Lynda, apart from the fact that Oz is full of wonderfully helpful chaps like me, (pause to blow trumpet) it may have to do with our TV services.

We have three commercial channels, plus the two government channels, ABC and SBS. There is one main pay TV service. There are a few minor channels for special regions.

If we assume that the three commercial channels are mere purveyors of trash, that leaves the ABC and SBS, plus three channels devoted to history on pay TV, that may have something to offer.. It's not too hard to check programs for things likely to interest this intelligent forum.

No offense meant I didn't know the program existed sounds very interesting .OZ is wonderful I think our Inger down there but you only have 5 channels ???????Correct me if I am wrong but did I read that right and the others you have to pay for.That sucks

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You can listen to five different programmes? Wow! I must think about getting one of these new-fangled sets with a tuning dial (I think that's what it's called). But does that mean you need five different crystals? My wireless has only one. A bloke in the pub told me you can get a special wireless now that has moving pictures, but I think he was pulling my leg.

L

Lynda Franklin

You can listen to five different programmes? Wow! I must think about getting one of these new-fangled sets with a tuning dial (I think that's what it's called). But does that mean you need five different crystals? My wireless has only one. A bloke in the pub told me you can get a special wireless now that has moving pictures, but I think he was pulling my leg.

Now that's a real relief .He had me believing that you only get 5 .In my neck of the woods as far as basic tv is concerned we get 13.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

The best programmes on Titanic and ships in general are broadcast in my country by Discovery Channel and Discovery Civilization. Paid channels, but otherwise I can watch really nice documentaries on ships. I watched one other day, it was about the construction of Titanic in Belfast but not that one in which Don Lynch portrays Mr. Andrews. It didn't use computer-generated images, it only showed photographs, but the text and the detailed information was really good stuff.

Best,
JC

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

OZ is wonderful I think our Inger down there but you only have 5 channels ???????
Hallo Lynda - yes, I do come from the land of 5 free-to-air channels!

It is amusing watching the instant Zombification powers of cable when it's introduced into an innocent Australian household - "Can't talk - watching Bridezilla!"​