Australian Titanic Musical

Sally Butler

Mar 28, 2003
I was interested in seeing the Titanic musical, but it appears that it finished off a few months ago.
I was wondering if anyone attended the musical, and if it's not playing any longer, why did it fold.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It folded for the usual theatrical reason. It didn't put bums in seats. Plans to take it to various Australian cities were abandoned when ticket sales in Brisbane were almost zero.

I've not heard a note of it, so I can't comment on the music. The libretto is online somewhere and I found it unconvincing.

The main criticism of the show that I've seen is that it contains so many characters that the audience never gets to know any of them well and never feels involved with anybody.

Nov 30, 2000
Oh my gosh...
And they said the dialogue in the screen version of "Raise The Titanic" was corny.
Kudos, though, that it is mostly historical characters doing the singing.

Richard Krebes

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Don't click on any of the scams.<<

If the site is that bad, I'll just stay away from it. My own rig went toes up, probably because of a virus. I don't think my Dad...who's rig I'm using until mine can be repaired...would appriciate my taking a gamble with his machine.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I didn't pick up anything from the site. I did a scan for spyware afterwards though. Just don't click on the various bits of trash about the millionth visitor and so forth.

Have a look at Thomas Andrews' last song. It's second last. They might as well have set something from Eaton & Haas!

Sally Butler

Mar 28, 2003
Thanks Dave.
Looks like that's the end of that idea.
It's a shame really, there does not appear to be much in Australia that's Titanic related.
I've seen your e-book advertised on your website and it looks excellent.
I don't even think there's any Australian's that have published a Titanic book.
I recently was with friends at the Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour and asked about titles by Australian authors and was told there was none.
Thanks for letting me know about that musical. I might instead go and see the stage play 'War of the Worlds'.

Dec 7, 2000
Sally,

Steve Hall who lives in Australia co-authored a book with Bruce Beveridge (who's from the US). The book is called "Olympic & Titanic: The Truth Behind The Conspiracy" - I know it is available online, but as I haven't been to the Maritime Museum for some years, I wasn't aware they don't stock it. There is also a very good maritime library a short walk down form the museum (at wharf 3 I think) perhaps they have it? Again, it has been some years since I've been there as well and you can only go in by appointment, but they normally always grant entry anyway.

If you wait a little longer, there will be more books by Australian authors soon. :)

Regards,

Daniel.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Hi Sally.
The book Bruce and I did was published over 3 years ago. The book itself took us approximately 4 years of research and work.
The book has sold well all around the world.
Strangely enough I offered that (above) mentioned Museum ten signed copies of the book. I left my telephone number and email contact with them; unfortunately they never replied. I later gave the copies away to a few libraries.
Send me your address by private email and I’ll send you a signed copy.
As Daniel mentioned above, there’s a new book to be published in Nov. this year (Beveridge, Andrews, Hall & Klistorner). This new book will be a 700 page (hard cover) encyclopedic technical volume on Titanic’s planning, construction, engineering and internal spaces.
Due to a possible binding issue, it may be necessary to release it in two volumes. But we’ll have to wait and see on that one.
When the time is right, Bruce Beveridge will make an announcement on what the publisher will do.
Regarding the Titanic Musical. Daniel, myself and several others attended the second Saturday night showing of the musical. We had the best seats in the house, and speaking for myself I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Steve Hall