Australians

Dec 8, 2000
Hrm, Geelong eh. Thanks Dave - that one might be worth a little look.

Daniel - there are a number of crew I'm aware of who had post-Titanic connections but I'm a bit hamstrung by 'privileged information' so as to speak.
sad.gif
Daresay you're in the same boat? Anyway, there's some talk about time off from the salt mines for good behaviour over Christmas / New Year, so I may yet see you and Inger in Sydney.

A pre-Titanic connection I'm very interested in is Boatswain Nichols. Unfortunately I hit a bit of a brick wall earlier in the year, not that I've started to look at ways around it yet (as usual I got distracted by something else). He's got to be out there somewhere, that's for sure. Anyone else had any luck? Perhaps he's another one Andrew has been working on.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Fiona, Andrew found that Campbell had a brother called Wallace, who lived in Horsham at the time. That's all I've seen.

The last I heard, he was getting nowhere with Nichols. The Aussie names are so commonplace that it makes it hard. Even Charles (Karl) Dahl is the Norwegian equivalent of Fred Smith and is quite common.

Dec 8, 2000
Thanks Dave. Actually, your comment on the bogus Bell and mythologising McRae reminds me that there's a chap in Warrnambool that needs to be added to the 'spurious survivors' listing.

A Campbell in Horsham, though eh? Crikey, might as well be a Smith! Maybe it's time to call in some local favours... Sorry to learn that Andrew had also hit a brick wall re Nichols.

Oh well, back to the proverbial PRO.

May 7, 2006
Not realy an Aussie connection, just a could have been. William Mackie (engineer) was my great-grand mother's brother-in-law and only planned to do a few trips on Titanic before trying to transfer to an Australian run.

Unfortunately he never got the chance.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
If I had more resources, I'd chase down the Aldinga grave business. I photographed it almost exactly a year ago and I noticed that the gold lettering shown on this site has been replaced with white paint. Somebody is obviously still around and looking after the stone.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hmmm...perhaps we should make the gathering a Northern Beaches sort of thing, w/Daniel, Andrew and the Fi? Can turn it into an open house sort of thing - drinks and debate on the balcony overlooking the cliffs and sea.

Dec 7, 2000
All,

Fi if you come that would be awesome! The more the merrier!! Any ideas when we're meeting up? Inger I do have that Sylvia Lightoller Commutator article copied for you, but I could bring the original magazine to show you as well.

Daniel.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Cheers, Daniel!

I have the odd bits and bobs to hand over to you as well that seem to have been kicking around here forever.

I'll be in Oz from the 22nd Dec - 13 Jan, so there's a bit of time to play around with.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
This is just a test to see if I can get images right.

If I got it right, you should see an image of the birthplace of Evelyn Marsden, as it appears today. She was born close to the big tree on the left. In those days, Stockyard Creek was quite an important station, where sheep and grain were loaded.
46756.jpg

Dec 8, 2000
Quite frankly, no.

Financial necessity, a degree of wanderlust? Interesting to read the brief ET biog and wonder about the years between her childhhood and winding up working for WSL out of Southampton. I feel the pull of the microfiche already...

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There are quite a few gaps in Evelyn's story and some of the details on her biography are wrong. For instance, her husband did not work at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Another researcher has found evidence that the couple didn't arrive in South Australia until November 1913. When they did, they came from Sydney. That agrees with the date on which Dr James became a registered doctor in Adelaide. I found that myself.

I don't know whether Andrew Rogers has looked for the Medical Register in NSW. If Dr James was registered there, it might give a rough idea of when they arrived in NSW. Then it's off to the shipping records.

I can document that in 1907, Evelyn's father was granted six months' leave to go to England. Whether Evelyn went with him is another thing. It's not impossible. Titanic's crew list incorrectly has her born in England, perhaps because she had lived there with relatives for some years.

The story of her life in Sydney after WW I is a mystery, in spite of the efforts of Andrew. I keep asking myself why a doctor and his wife were buried in an unmarked grave. There's a story there somewhere.

Dec 7, 2000
Dave,

I never tried to do this, but would putting out notices in newspapers help track down anyone that may still remember Evelyn and her husband? Considering how long ago they died, anyone who might still be alive would have had to be young then, and I doubt they'd know much. In any case, it might be worth a try.

The main Library of New South Wales has a family history section and I think you can look up shipping records there for Australian ports. I have never tried to research in that section, so I have no idea how easy it would be to look them up, but I could give this a try as soon as I can get some free time ... and I have no idea when that may happen.

Daniel.

Dec 8, 2000
From the look of it, there's a few stories in there, Dave. Crikey, quite a dark horse.

Daniel, I don't know about notices in the paper but would the medical colleague angle be likely to pay off? If he was in private practice at all, perhaps someone bought into the practice following his retirement. If he worked in a hospital, old staff appointment records and so on? The NSW Medical Register would provide the starting points, wouldn't it?

I'm often dipping into the shipping records for family rather than Titanic related stuff, but Evelyn's got me interested. It would be great to sort out some of the mysteries. I might get a chance to look over this weekend and if I find anything I'll post it.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Andrew has already been pretty thorough and I think he's checked the hospitals. He's even been to golf clubs, as we know that the pair played golf. The Medical Register and the shipping lists are the things to go for. I and another local researcher have about exhausted SA sources. We even have the name plate off Dr James's surgery. It seems likely that Dr James simply worked as a GP and left no further record until he died. It's odd that we have so much about the 18 months or so spent in SA and so little else.

Forgot!!! If somebody likes to spend the money, Dr William James was a Captain in the Australian Army during WW I. Details of his service would be on file. Andrew may have done this.

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
I come up with something about Charles Dahl, which is not already in the ET biography about him, as he already is mentioned on this thread:
Dahl changed citizenship when he emigrated to Adeleide, Australia in 1892. (probably English passport, as Australia was a part of England that time.)
After having been saved from the Titanic the Fingal Herald, N.D. had this entry about him May 2 1912:
"Carl Dahl, a brother of Mrs Iver Baardson arrived the latter part of this week. Mr. Dahl was a passenger on the ill fated steamer, the Titanic and is one of the few who were saved in this terrible accident. He was only about a mile from the great steamship and saw her when she exploded and went to the bottom".
Fargo Forum N.D. April 19 1912:
"Charles Dahl, an Australian who took the Titanic from Southampton en route to his mother in North Dakota lost in the sinking ship the wallet containing all the money he had in the world.
"I was in bed when the crash came" he said to-day.
"Without stopping to dress I rushed on deck and in some way, I do not know how, found myself in the water , must have jumped. Men were fighting the women to get into the boats. I heard several shots fired around me. I was picked up by one of the boats".
Later he, according to Per Kristian Sebak s book "Titanic 31 Norwegian destinies ", went to Scotland and bought a camera for still pictures. He used the camera while he later travelled to Ural to dig after gold.
I managed to obtain the wedding photo of Dahl and his wife Hansine Kristine Pedersen from a relative in Tromso. I will send a copy to one of you to get posted here later.
Dahl lived perhaps the most adventerous life compared with any other Titanic survivor. Maybe the gambler Geeorge Brereton could match him?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Bravo Arne! I for one would be interested in the photo. I live in Adelaide and I've looked for traces of Karl Dahl without luck. The problem is that his name is so common. I thought I had his Adelaide address and Andrew Rogers thought he had his naturalisation papers, but we were both wrong. I think he must have lived a blameless life in Adelaide and so kept out of the papers. He didn't marry here either. Such a man leaves no paper trail.

I'll find out if records of his naturalisation are likely to exist. This is complicated by the fact that Australia didn't exist until 1901. South Australia was a quasi-independent province within the British Empire.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
CQD CQD!

I'm increasingly convinced that Charles Dahl did not live in Adelaide, South Australia, but in Adelaide St, Brisbane.

Is there a Titanic fan in Brisbane who would like to do a little digging?

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Dave:
You should contact Daniel Klistorner. Also, I think Inger is on her way there now for the holidays. You might leave her a message.