Australians

Dec 7, 2000
Dave/Mike,

Bisbane is a little out of my reach. Unless Sydney has some Brisbane records that could help, I'm afraid I would be of little use.
sad.gif

Daniel.

M

Mark Bretherton

Just thought I'd let you know that we will be bringing James Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss in 3D to the IMAX theatres in Sydney and Melbourne on 4 September 2003. I'd be happy to arrange a sneak preview for any of the regulars in this discussion and especially any relatives of survivors or victims. Best way to reach me is via mbretherton@imax.com.au

May 7, 2006
Mark

Have Emailed you privately regarding the above message. I think this is certanly going to be worth the wait and would also love to meet other Aussie Titanic buffs face to face for a ggod chat. I'd love to get to meet real people and find put faces to the names. Let's make this an official get together.

Dec 7, 2000
Robert,

I second that! Lets make this a get together. I only ever met on Titanic buff here in Sydney, but have not seen him for over a year now.

Mark,

I e-mailed you privately as well.

Daniel.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Mark,

You have another definite starter here for any screening of this movie. I have been watching newspapers and checking your web site for any screening details for the Sydney IMAX.

Dec 8, 2000
Thanks for the generous offer, Mark. Count me as another who'll be in touch.

Lots of Sydneysiders and others from NSW - would be a good opportunity for some of you to get together. But does this mean that Alex and I will be struggling to hold up the ET banner on our own south of the border? ;)

But - Mark's original question was regarding descendents of survivors or other Titanic personages in Oz. Daniel? Weren't you and Andrew in touch with the other William Murdock's family at some point? They sounded like fun people and up for a trip to IMAX.

A

Andrew Rogers

Wow, I clear out for about 18 months and look what's been going on behind my back!
Might have done my dash for my first trip to an IMAX cinema too!
I have just re-registered with the message board again, it has been so long that I forgot my old password.
Andrew

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
And it's great to see you back, Andrew! I'm heading your way back to old stomping grounds, so hope to have a catch up with you when I touch down. Drinks out at Newport! Am looking forward to getting into a few Oz angles again.

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Inger,
Yes, back on deck but still rather pushed for time.
Drinks at Newport, what a bottler of an idea! I'm there and I'm sure Daniel will be up for it too.
I have not read all the posts on this thread yet but from the little I have seen I'd say that Daniel and Dave have just about covered anything that I might have up my sleeve. I have to say, the sleeve has not grown any wider in the last year or two!
Tarn, do you still live in Australia?
I found Melbourne to be one of our big cities with very little Titanic related info to be found. Maybe a resident might say otherwise.
One thing that is very interesting is to go to the state Library ( can't remember the name) and check out the microfilm records of "The Argus" newspaper from 1912. The Argus seemed to be a little more interested in nautical matters than some of the other Aussie papers.
Andrew

E

Erik Burros

Hello All:
I have read with great interest your postings on Charles Edward Dahl, 3rd Class passenger and survivor rescued on Lifeboat #15.

In conducting family research I have learned that I am a relative and was wondering if anybody had any additional information, and if the picture that Arne Mjaland had of him was ever posted on this site?

Thank you.
Erik.

E

Erik Burros

Thank you Thomas for your kind reply. It is very helpful.

In the interest of accuracy you mentioned he was a second class survivor. All I have read states he was a third class passenger?

Again, thank you.
Warmest Regards,
Erik.

Aug 14, 2015
Both the Ballarat and Broken Hill monuments are on the net, but don't ask the URL. A Google image search should find them. There used to be a memorial plaque on the bandstand in Kadina, SA, but some careless coot lost it. The Ballarat one is rather cute, with a profile of Titanic on its windvane.

Thanks to Andrew Rogers, there is now a monument on the grave of stewardess Evelyn Marsden in Waverley Cemetery, Sydney. In Adelaide, I know where her parents' very modest grave is. I have quite a bit of material on her, if you are interested.

In SA we have a memorial to a phoney Titanic victim called Alan McRae. That remains a mystery. Its on this site.

Andrew Rogers has been researching the Aussies for some years and may have material that he's never shown me. A possibility for some kind of monument might be Donald Campbell, who came from Geelong. With the exception of Arthur McCrae, Charles Dahl and Evelyn Marsden, the Aussies are pretty obscure people.

Hi Dave,
I would like to get in touch with you to find out more about Evelyn Marsden. I teach in the local area of her birthplace and our kids are fascinated with the story.
Narelle

tukanpilot

Aug 6, 2018
temple, ga
Here’s an amazing story of how it’s a small world,

My family moved to San Diego, Ca in 1968 from Fargo, ND. My father was a San Diego police officer. In 1980 my father was investigating a crime in La Jolla (a very wealthy part of San Diego) of a woman that was having a wall built in front of her home. While in the shower the person building the wall came into her house and tried to rape her. She was almost killed when she was beaten with a pipe. The person fled to Mexico and was never caught. My father met this woman in the hospital.

Well apparently my father fell in love with her and he left our family and ran off and married her. And when I say “ran off and married her” he literally ran off, I mean I came home from school and his clothes were gone, his tools were gone, etc. To say the least my mother, my sister and myself were all devastated.

Years later, my sister and I met my stepmother. Her name is Sheila Stubbings. She is a very nice women. I love her very much. She showed us a case that had titanic objects in it. She had a relative on the titanic that perished. His name was Mr Harry Robert Stubbings (2nd class cook) his body was never recovered.

Here’s the small world connection,

My fathers name is James N Dahl, we are Norwegian. As it turns out we also have a relative on board the titanic, his name was Mr Charles Edward Dahl, he was a 3rd class passenger and he survived (life boat 15). He was traveling to Figal, North Dakota ( Figal is now Fargo, pop in 1912 was 8).

Its amazing to think both of are family’s had relatives on board and 90 some odd years later they would meet in a way that was a show stopper for my mother and sister and myself. Apparently she is a very wealthy women making a fortune in some of the highest priced real estate in California. My father quit his job (he hated being a police officer) and they did a lot of moving around and traveling the world.

I saw the titanic exhibit in Las Vegas and was proud to see the names on the wall of passengers and crew.

Jeff Dahl

Temple, Georgia.