Author Diana Bristow

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
You would think that the Titanic Historical Society would get together with Bristow and get it reprinted.

I would buy it merely for the info she has about Captain Lord. Her speculations about the Mount Temple are also of interest as well.

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Mike H,

Amazon.com has been sending the same message about Bristow's book since January 2000! you would think they would take the stupid listing off their site since they haven't been able to fill an order for 16 months.

by the way, according to my records, the last time Sinking the Myths came up on eBay, it sold for $24.95. that was in November, 1999.

if only I had known then what I know now!!!!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T
http://www.titanicbooksite.com

Jun 4, 2000
Hrm. Amazon were sending out that message well before January 2000. Thanks for that Mike H. Looks like it's time for some of Amazon's automated responses to be updated.

Totally fed up with them, I got my copy on eBay. It was in 1998 (I think) and I can't remember what it cost. What I do remember is that the postage was more than the book! Based on my trawling of the 2nd hand circuit, it's unfortunate but eBay would seem to be the best bet.

It would be interesting to know the size of the print run as 2nd hand copies are extraordinarily rare. As for her first book - let's just say I haven't given up. Yet.

Cheers,

F

Jul 20, 2000
My dealing with Amazon produced the following. Edited highlights from what I believe was my 3rd order with them:

August 2000: Greetings from Amazon.com!
It has come to our attention that your order is taking longer to complete than we initially estimated. In an effort to expedite the process, we have contacted the publisher by phone, and obtained a reconfirmation that they are processing our order for "Titanic : Sinking the Myths".
We expect our order to be fulfilled shortly, and be ready for shipment to you within the next few weeks.

After that they told me:
I'm sorry we are unable to be more precise about the availability of Your order(#.......)-1 of "Titanic : Sinking the Myths". We have not found any publisher for this title. You order has been cancelled due to unavailability of the item.

After I told them they did know who the publisher was and had actually made phone contact with them:

Unfortunately, this title is currently not available. Though not officially "out of print," this book is "out of stock indefinitely" at the publisher.
When a book is out of stock indefinitely, it is in a kind of limbo. It is either out of stock and will soon go out of print, or it is out of stock and may be reprinted. Since these titles are not officially out of print, we cannot do out-of-print book searches for them.

Later:
Per your request, I forwarded your most recent e-mail to xxxx in our Special Orders Department. As you may recall, xxxx had notified you after we had experienced a delay in filling your order. She had contacted the publisher and was assured that they would be supplying us with this book so we could then ship it to you. -
I did not need to be told that as I had told Amazon that.
In fact, although we did place an order with the publisher, who told us the book was available, we have yet to receive it. Instead, we have received conflicting information, just as you have, about the availability of "Titanic: Sinking the Myths." We do not know yet what went wrong, but we are investigating this further. -
Needless to say all of the conflicting information was from Amazon.

Then in November:
I want to apologize for any misunderstanding concerning your order.
Unfortunately, this title is currently not available. Though not officially "out of print," this book is "out of stock indefinitely" at the publisher.
When a book is out of stock indefinitely, it is in a kind of limbo. It is either out of stock and will soon go out of print, or it is out of stock and may be reprinted. Since these titles are not officially out of print, we cannot do out-of-print book searches for them.
If you would like to purchase this book, I suggest that you search our catalog occasionally to see if the title has been reprinted or re-listed as an out-of-print title.

Bottom line seems to be that Titanic: Sinking the Myths is not officially "out of print"; so it remains on Amazon's list of available books. Not a very good Customer Relations decision.
Thankfully eBay came to the party and I got a copy that way 3 months ago.

Lester

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Thanks, Earl.
happy.gif

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Tracy, Fiona, T-M-I-B, and Michael S:

Proud to report that, thanks to eBay, my quest for Diane Bristow's "Sinking the Myths" is finally over.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that to get her book, I also had to buy the following things that will have to go in my duplicate pile:
2 pieces of Titanic coal, with Certificates,
a metallic Titanic White Star Line poster,
a metallic WSL steward's badge replica,
an XL Titanic Expedition T-Shirt,
Ken Marschall's "Art of the Titanic,"
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Titanic,"
"Down with the Old Canoe,"
"Exploring the Titanic,"
National Geographic December 1985,
Popular Mechanics September 1998, and
the "Titanic Adventure Out of Time" game.

What, me nuts?

Reactions: 1 user

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Diana will be amazed to hear what it took for you to get one of her books. I've been in email contact with her and it will make her smile to hear to what trouble you had to go through to get her book.

As for me, I have a Titanic buff overseas sending me a copy of "Hands Off the Titanic(and the Californian)".

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Tracy:
Didn't know you were still looking for Monica O'Hara's book. Got my copies of "Hands Off the Titanic" and "I Died on the Titanic" a few years back by just writing to her direct.

You'll love this. The person who is selling me Bristow's book is from North Carolina.

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Although this thread is years old at this point, I though I'd mention that there are copies of Both of Bristow's books floating around on Amazon, Half/Ebay, and other various dealers on bookfinder.

As for the books the books:

Titanic: RIP is a nice little short read w/ lots of great research.

Titanic Sinking The Myths on the other hand will take a while to read as it's 505 pages long, well worth reading though as the research is excellent and the book is very detailed.

I wonder if anyone here remembers me since I haven't posted in a while

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi Jesse, thanks for the heads-up. These two books can be quite difficult to come by, especially RIP, as a few years back I checked the book search sites daily for about 6 months before finally obtaining a copy, and had two or three copies get away on me during that time because I wasn't fast enough on the draw. While her conclusions are arguable, she gets five stars for her research.

Anyone know if she is currently working on any other Titanic-related projects? Some time ago, I had heard that she had another book in the works but I haven't heard anything since.