Automobiles and Social Caste

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
That must be the longest link in the history of ET. Where does it say 150mph? I read 125kph (downhill no doubt). But trust you to have a flash motor. I started with a 1938 Morris 8. Black as yer father's 'at. I bought it from my brother for a tenner. I was robbed.

Jan 29, 2001
Hey Bob, a recent episode of "World's Widest Police Videos" actually showed footage of a patrolman stopping a vehicle, same size as the one you pictured, carrying about the same amount of a Mexican family? Needless to say they were sighted for insufficient lifebelts (lifeboats ;-)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Feb 14, 2011
I have a general understanding of the American cars that were popular in 1912; such as the Ford Model T, Buick and Oldsmobile.

What were people driving in the UK and Europe?
I assume the German Mercedes Benz was popular- as was the French Renault.

What kind of Renault was on board Titanic- was it a 'touring' car?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Just Mercedes in those days, Tarn. The merger with Benz took place in 1926, for the same sort of reasons that White Star merged with Cunard. And the Mercedes was far too expensive to be popular. There are existing threads which cover this ground in some detail so we probably don't need another one. Likewise the Carter Renault. Search and ye shall find.

[Moderator's note: No need to search. This message and Tarn's, originally a separate thread outside this subtopic, have been moved to this thread, the one that Bob referred to. MAB]