B Deck Mystery Box

May 20, 2002
I wondered if this could be some kind of AC-DC converter used for electric hookups to shore. Since Titanic was made later than olympic, and that ports were in transtion from DC to AC during that period, I was wondering if they somehow had a way to convert the power to work with newer ports.

Since this box seems to be electrical, and that it is by an entrance, It may make since if this is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Assuming you're referring to the "box" on the aft-facing side of the B-deck bulwark overlooking the forewell deck, what evidence is there that it is electrical in nature? It's a tantalizing theory, but I have difficulty understanding why a converter like you're describing would be placed where you're suggesting.

Other comments?

Adam

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The few photos I've ever seen of this box were fuzzy and I couldn't see any sort of electrical leads going into the thing. I doubt it had anything to do with shore power though. Every installation I've seen for shore power and other shore services had the hook-ups on the side of the ship. I can't think of any practical reason for placing shore support hookups in a thoroughfare along the centerline of a ship where people are likely to constantly be tripping over them.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
It sounds as if Steven's referring to the doohikamabob mounted on the Boat Deck beside the second class entrance. There's been much debate but no resolution over function. The Box is a feature only present on Titanic, never installed on Olympic or Britannic.

Indeed, there was a boxy-thing on the foreward B-deck of all three ships that's just as mysterious as the Boat Deck fixture, but there's no entrance nearby. The Boat Deck Box also has a conduit running into it.

Picture of both:
Boat Deck Box : http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~dlaw/picpalace/supstrct/TPP8.jpg (Titanic Picture Palace)
B-Deck Box : http://www.debrisfield.com/Articles/Bdeck/bdeck.htm (Debris Field)

The Boat Deck box was also debated a number of times at the TRMA, with many suggestions but no answer: http://titanicresearch.com/wwwboard/titanic/messages/6597.html

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what either box does, either.

Josh.

K

Ken hogan

Im anti salvage, but why dont they just open the thing, find out, and put the mystery box to rest for all time. (I know I probally couldnt be done, and wont be done but the thing bothers me too)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ken, in order to open the thing, the parties trying it would have to make an ROV small enough to get in to where it is and fit the thing with the tools to do so. A manned submersible is simply too big to do it and the condition of the wreck makes close operations of any sort extremely dangerous. Is it technically possible?

Yes.

Is it worth the trouble?

Probably not.

Whatever it is, this 'mystery box' had nothing to do with the loss of the ship. The iceberg took care of that. It would be nice to know what it is, but there are larger issues so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
wink.gif

R

Raymond John Mulhall

The mysterius object on B deck is like a crane some pubs use if they have a upstairs beer store room.They used it to pick up small supplies and(Don't laugh)lifeboats from other ships that had sunk
There Mystery Solved (I hope!!)

K

Ken hogan

maybe it stored chemicals for the "supposed" darkroom on board. Probally not, but at this stage it could be anything. Who knows? maybe the lost eighteen mintues of the watergate tapes are inside.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Might as well join in the fun!

I think the mystery box on the boat deck is an afterthought. I'm basing this on a photo on page 120 of The Birth of the Titanic. This shows the same area on Olympic during fitting out. If you look at the handrail on the side of the raised structure over the second class entrance, it extends all the way forward, right to the forward corner. That would make no sense if it was already planned to fit the box. A photo on page 117 of Titanic Voices shows that there was no box on the port side.

The box is very close to the bar that fronted onto the first class smoking room. I suggest that it might have contained an exhaust fan that was added as the result of experience. Perhaps the air exited through a side that is concealed.

I'm sure it's not a hoist or a winch. The support is not solid enough. The boat winches are clearly shown on drawings and all are well forward of the spot.

Failing that, it's the fog locker, where the key of the keelson was stowed. (See Sir James Bisset Sail Ho!).

R

Raymond John Mulhall

You Could be right in Chemicals could be there, that could explane why some fish were seen floating on the suface ( ethier that of roswell crashed spacecraft is there!!)

R

Raymond John Mulhall

No As I said It is a crane.Just look carefully at if you see a cable it is a electric crane

R

Raymond John Mulhall

You Could Be right I know Its A Crane they used in dock for supplies.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Raymond, if you go HERE you'll see where the ships cranes were. There were two in the forward welldeck between the base of the superstructure and the forecastle which were used to handle cargo. They would not have been used for handling lifeboats as there were davits and their associated equipment for that.

There were two cranes located aft also intended for handling cargo. I've seen a couple of rather fuzzy photographs of this "mystery box" and it is entirely too small for the perpose you describe. At best, it's an electrical junction box of some kind or a stowage locker for small tools or a firehose. It's simply not large enough for anything else.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Mike & Raymond:

I think I know where raymond's confusion stems from. Joshua Gulch provided two links in his reply above. The first one was http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~dlaw/picpalace/supstrct/TPP8.jpg , which is a picture of the 'mystery box' on the Boat deck. This is the box that most of the current discussion has been about. However, Joshua also posted a video snap of the 'mystery object on the forward end of B deck, http://www.debrisfield.com/Articles/Bdeck/bdeck.htm , in which part of one of the jibs of the forward baggage cranes appears. Does this make sense of it?

Scott Andrews

R

Raymond John Mulhall

Please Call me RJ not Raymond.
It is A Small Crane use for small Cargo/Items

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
"It is A Small Crane use for small Cargo/Items"

I'm assuming you're referring to the aforementioned "mystery box" on B Deck. What evidence do you have that this is the case? Also, how could such a small object be a crane in itself, especially where it's located?

Adam

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I highly doubt it's a crane. As Adam said, how could it be when it is a small object given it's location?

I'm gonna go with Mike on this one, that it's either an electrical box or a storage locker.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
R.J. said "It is A Small Crane use for small Cargo/Items"

Uhhhh....we heard you the first time. Unfortunately, repeating a claim doesn't make it so.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what we're discussing here. If were talking about the equipment in the photos on the boat deck, then were likely discussing something to do with the davits. If were talking about the B Deck "Mystery Box" then there's just no way it's a crane of any kind. It's just too small.

The cranes that were fitted to the Titanic are well documented as are their locations. The number of cranes located on B deck numbers exactly zero.