B Deck Mystery Box

R

Raymond John Mulhall

O.K If its not a crane could it be a lift up light that it use to eluminate B deck in Emegencys?

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Close-up examination in 2001 revealed nothing more than a bolt on the side of the device/cover. It is located precisely where the crane boom end would hit if swung back to the bulkhead, but also in the mirrored location to the stairs to C-deck seen on the port side. On either side of the device are metal plates with holes in them. See the TRMA site for more on theseand their ID/function (window covers for the B-deck staterooms). One could reasonably speculate that this could be a tool box containing tools to attach the metal plates in inclement weather.
OK, back into my cave...

B

Brian Hawley

Interesting information Dan, about the window covers for B deck. I have seen a photo for similar steel weather screens for Normandie's great expanse of glass under the bridge. I always wondered if Olympic class ships had something similar.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
One theory I have not seen posted here is that the "mystery object" on the inboard side of the forward
B deck promenade bulwark may have been a cover over the items necessary to create a starboad opening down to the forward well deck. The port opening leads to the only assymyetric stairs to either the forward or aft well decks. The most compelling aspect I find in this theory is that in the wreck photos there are clearly identifiable caprail seams on both port and starboard sides of the object. The seams are spaced more widely than the simple width of the opening on the port side. These are also not typical seams one would find in woodwork because they are simple fore and aft seams and they are open. Simply stated, I believe the solid bulwark section could be removed and two plates (port and starboard) would be attached to either side of the opening to provide the framing for the gate opening to a portable set of stairs (all the stairs to the well decks were removeable). Since a picture is worth a thousand words, the link below shows a drawing of my theory. I'm not trying to make converts. I just wanted to propose a plausible alternative.

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=352071

Oct 12, 2004
Ok, until now I have not really lost any sleep over this box. Now, I cant stop thinking of what it could be. I will have to look into this further, but based on what can be seen, there is a box, containing components that are rather light in weight, based on the support, and an entrance for some sort of electrical wiring (most likely). Is it possible this housed some added components for a communication device? Just a thought.

Drew

Oct 12, 2004
Let me add to that as I may appear stupid. I know that communications were pretty much limited to the tubes, however, could this have housed some sort of generator. I know that the wireless powersource is elsewere. Ok so basically, I am grabbing at straws because the thing bothers me.

R

Raymond John Mulhall

Well this is a puzzle!! Well we all know it's electrical,we all know that it is a not crane,we all know its got a mystery well maybe we'll never know what it is.The only person who did when down with the ship!

Dec 7, 2000
Olympic had one of these mystery boxes fore on B deck as well. Unless I'm completely mistaken or have missed it somewhere, Olympic's "mystery box" was removed and no longer there by the end of Olympic's career. I have no idea when it was removed, all I know is that it wasn't there when Olympic was being broken up and sold in 1935/36.

Daniel.

B

Brian Hawley

Daniel, I have a very detailed 1920s Olympic deck plan. It shows the B deck box in place however it not labeled. Still it was there in the mid 1920s, so if the box was removed it must have been in the last decade of her life. I think the plan I own is mid 20s because some of the changes known to have taken place onboard after the RMSPC buyout are not shown. The Boat Deck box on Titanic does not appear on the 1920s O plan. I looked last week on the off chance it was shown.

Brian

M

Mark Darrah

I have no idea what the B deck object is, but I like the idea that it's somehow related to the window covers for B deck. Maybe it houses some clamps, since I can't see any way to attach the covers to the windows otherwise.

I do have a few observations about the boat deck box.

The "conduit" going into it looks more like a water line than electrical. Notice the elbow right before it enters the box. It's a very sharp elbow, not what I'd expect to see if it carried electrical wires. Also note that the conduit itself is a larger diameter than the elbow, which makes me think it's insulated with rubber or some such material.

My own theory is that it's a water tank. It is almost directly above the bar (slightly aft). Because the pipe enters the box slightly below the top makes me think it's a filler pipe or perhaps an overflow drain. Since we can't see the forward side of it, we don't know if there's a corresponding pipe on the other side. Just my guess.

C

Colin John James

you are all wrong..... its the icebox from a "stop me and buy one",ice cream seller...just missing his wheels.

R

Raymond John Mulhall

Colin

Silly arn't you?Why in god's name is it rivited to the deck? pretty silly Ice-cream cart that cart move or has a lid!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
That's because they won't be selling icecream until summer comes. Then the wheels will be put on and an Italian from the restaurant will sell gelati. Only to first class of course.

C

Colin John James

Ray, Ray, Ray,.....its only a joke...if you look at the picture maybe you'll get it.

My real thought is it is a cowling for something, but what, that is the question.....i wont suggest a choc ice.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I still think it could be an extracter fan. Air would be drawn in though the side of the deck house and exit through the bottom of the box. That would explain why there's a single wooden support underneath the box. It makes the box attachment more rigid, without blocking the air flow.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
I don't know why this thread is continuing as "B deck mystery box. What we're talking about now is the
Boat deck mystery box. Anyway, this is in response to
Dave's post. The function you are describing was handled many other places on deck by a sirocco fan with a cowl attachment. Air was drawn into the fan through a duct and out of the cowl opening. These specific sirocco setups were for "suction".
We can speculate that it was anything. The real trick is finding some shred of evidence. That's why this thing has been so resistant to figuring out its function. There is almost no evidence to suggest its function.

Regards,
Bob Read