B Deck Mystery Box

Feb 14, 2011
Regarding the mysetry box..perhaps it was used a storage container for the canvas shades that were used to protect A deck?
(which was visible in a few father Brown photos)

Tarn Stephanos

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
It seems like an odd place to put A-deck shades, though. I would have assumed that the shades would be stored someplace where they would be close to the area of deployment. Somehow, something's going on in the area around B-deck forward and the forewell deck that requires that box to be there.

Adam

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Ken:
In forming my pet theory I first saw the obvious seam in the caprail to starboard of the object. The photo I posted is a series of photos taken from just to port of the object but not far enough port to show the port seam
with the last photo taken just to starboard of the object.
After I saw the starboard seam clearly, I looked at a lot of wreck footage and I believe the port seam is there and is equidistant from the object on the port side as the starboard is from the object. Coupled with the facts that the two bulwark stanchions that would be expected in this area are missing and the fact that the object is located equidistant from the centerline as the port stairway opening, it is my opinion that these are more than mere coincidence. I have put forth my theory above in this thread and it either stands or falls of its own weight.
One of the main linchpins of this theory though is the caprail seams. If you are able to see the port seam in
wreck footage then as you say "something curious" is
going on.
Also, some are referring to this object as a "mystery box" when it is not a box at all. I think they are mixing terms with the object near the 2nd class entrance on the boat deck.

Regards,
Bob Read

Regards,
Bob Read

Feb 14, 2011
I believe there are indeed 2 mystery boxes...the one on the Boat deck, starboard side by the 2nd class enterance, and the one under the bridge on B deck....

Tarn Stephanos

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Tarn:
My point was that the B deck "mystery object" is not
a "box" at all. Only the boat deck "mystery box" could
in any sense of the word be considered a box. Both are mysteries but both are not boxes.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
This is a very old thread that I wanted to update. At the time this thread was created the object on the forward bulwark of the forward B deck promenade was referred to as a "mystery box". What this object is and what is under this covering is still a mystery but it would more accurately be termed a "mystery object". There is one piece of information that was not a part of the original discussion. On an Olympic General Arrangement plan of this area the margin plank sheathing around the perimeter is shown. Where the mystery object is the margin planking is altered to accommodate whatever is under the cover of what we see. Unfortunately, there are quite a number of deck structures which are surrounded by margin plank sheathing so this information doesn't narrow the identity much at all. What it did was cause me to abandon a pet theory about what this object was. In the attached Olympic G/A plan I have highlighted in red the margin planking in this area. My updated article on this object can be found here: http://www.titanic-cad-plans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Mystery-Object-Revised-1-30-18-2.pdf
Mystery box19.jpg