Bahrain Ferry Sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2002
Hi Denise,

BBC News states 25 Britons on board and so 48 bodies recovered,looks like up to 170 on board but not confirmed

Cliff

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Looks like it was just grossly overloaded. Some intended passengers refused to board for safety concerns.

Mar 28, 2002
Latest is 13 Britons amongst 57 people known to have died in this disaster with 63 confirmed survivors. The boat was apparently hired as a corporate event to celebrate the completion of a building project. Some people had left the boat just before it departed because, like Ernie says, it appeared to be overloaded.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Looks like it was just grossly overloaded.<<

Yeah...that's one of the common denominators when ferrys come to a bad end over in that part of the world. Get's old after awhile and you would think that as often as it happens, somebody would start to learn the lessons. This craft couldn't have been all that large if 150 people leave the thing overloaded. I've seen tourboats all over the world that could comfortably and safely hold that many.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Hey, everyone! I noticed on Yahoo news this morning there was a small cruise boat that capsized during a dinner cruise. The passengers consisted of a wide variety of nationalities: British and Indian just to name a few. It is unknown on how the ship capsized but there is a rumor that maybe the ship capsized when people headed over to the left side of the cruise boat. A passenger on board called on his cell phone saying that the ship was listing. There was a little over 100 passengers on board. From what I've heard about 57 people died in the shipwreck. The cruise boat appeared around 200 feet and didn't sink at all but just laid on its side. I don't know the name of it. What have you guys heard of this shipwreck?

[Moderator's note: This post was in another thread started today, but has been moved to the pre-existing one on the same subject. JDT]

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
The vessel in this case was a converted dhow. These are traditionally sail-powered single deck vessels but many have been de-rigged and motorised. In the present case the addition of a flying deck, if not otherwise compensated for, would definitely compromise stability.

That said, there are apparently a lot of these conversions available for leisure charter, also Bahrain is fairly sophisticated in maritime regulatory terms.

There was other traffic in the vicinity and, in the absence of further information, I would conjecture that the capsize was attributable to a combination of list due to 'rubbernecking' and encounter with the wake of another vessel.

Noel

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
This disaster reminds me of the Eastland ferry disaster in 1904. Both ships capsized in calm weather conditions. It says on the internet that the ferry wasn't registered to do cruises. I also found more information on Yahoo news about this shipwreck:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060401/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bahrain_ship

There is a small graph of the ferry, the decks etc. It appears that those who were on the higher decks had better chances of surviving. It seems like most of the victims were in the dining room when the ferry capsized. So, who now wants to go on a ferry?

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
In the interests of pedantry; by reason of the nature of its employment this dhow cannot be said to be a "ferry".

Also the word 'replica' has appeared in subsequent reports; on the photographic evidence I thought these vessels looked too large to be real dhows.

The latest is that the Bahraini authorities had not licensed this particular vessel to ply for hire.

Noel

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the Maritime Global Net:
quote:

IMO Secretary General Efthimios Mitropoulos used a speech to open this weekí¢â‚¬â„¢s session of the agencyí¢â‚¬â„¢s Sub-Committee on Bulk Liquids and Gases to highlight his strong feelings over last weeks sinking of a tourist boat in Bahrain, with heavy loss of life.
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.mgn.com/news/dailystorydetails.cfm?storyid=6455&type=2

Comment: Kind of speaks for itself. However for all the posturing I can't help but get the sense that it won't take long for things to go back to Business As Usual. In fact, it probably already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.