Ballard's latest discovery

Jan 29, 2001
Hello:

I hope the subject title I chose for my post is o.k. with you folks.

It does revolve around Discovery and Exploration.

The World News Tonight reported that Dr. Ballard found P.T. 109 off the Solomon Islands. It appears that the remains of the craft are buried in the sea bottom exposing only the torpedo tubes. National Geographic promises a documentary later this year.

BTW, the NG periodical ran a most spendid article on the Hunley in their latest release.

So what will Dr. Ballard's next target be? Hows about D. Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse!!

In a recent interview on the NG channel, Ballard shared that the young kids come up to him and ask him to "Please quit looking for shipwrecks". In otherwords the young students, when they are of age also want to "rise to the challenge".

I believe all the headliners are accounted for...

Michael Cundiff
USA

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
From everything I have heard, Ballard has moved on from liners for the time being. I have expectations he may return to the Black Sea for more research there, or move on to greener pastures.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from hoping he'll return to the Britannic wreck any time soon.

Adam

Apr 23, 2002
What about the wreck of the Athenia? Has it ever been discovered?
How about the liners, Achille Lauro and Sun Vista?

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hey Michael - There is another thread located under - General Titanica - called "Finder of Titanic locates WWII Patrol boat captained by JFK" - in case you are interested in the discussion that went on in that small thread.

- Beth

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
I heard Ballard was being asked to look for Amelia Earheart's plane...!!

I guess he's such big box office that anyone looking for funding for any search will try and imply he may become involved - whether it's true or not.

Like Adam I'd like to see him back in the Black sea - or at the Britannic. It's been mentioned on this board many times - and I too find it frustrating- that he makes these tantalising discoveries with a one off expedition and leaves it for others to follow up- or not...

T

Timothy Brandsoy

I read on another site (dated 2001) that Ballard was going to look for Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat.

Tim B

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Somehow, I seriously doubt that. I don't think Ballard's the type to look for something like Noah's Ark. What's the site's URL, by the way?

Adam

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Yeah, I would say so. I haven't heard of that site, either, but it doesn't surprise me. Always ask, however, why do they always end up coming back with either having their film destroyed or confiscated by government officials? And if they *do* manage to take a photo, why is it always blurry or otherwise difficult to see?

In my opinion? The darned thing doesn't exist, and never did.

Adam

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>And if they *do* manage to take a photo, why is it always blurry or otherwise difficult to see? <<

What better way to explain an utter lack of credible evidence? Either use a photo that's so bad as to be useless or blame the whole thing on some Bad Guys. (The government always makes a handy scapegoat.)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
"In my opinion? The darned thing doesn't exist, and never did."

Many millions of Christians and Jews would not agree with you on that. Whether or not some object exists in today's world on the top of a mountain is not relevant to the matter of whether Christians and Jews have reason to believe it ever existed.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Yes good point Eric. Just because you can't see something or touch it doesn't mean it was never there. Sometimes you just have to believe.
Adam McGuirk

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
I will not be debting this further. I just wanted to state my opinion. This is not a board for those to debate christianity on and it is a very strong issue and everyone is liable to believe what ever they want to matter what it is or how strange or wrong someone else may find it.
Adam

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
To close this little nuclear bomb of a debate, one reason I do not believe the Ark existed is because of the lack of archaeological and historical evidence. Considering the nature of the Bible, that it is a book of parables, I would take any evidence from that with a grain of salt. I also seriously doubt the literalist idea that it was a 300-foot-long vessel carrying two of every living land animal on Earth.

Adam

Mark Taylor

Mar 18, 2005
Re: Adam Leet

Ballard conducted underwater explorations of the Black Sea a few years ago. As I recall they found remnants of what probably were villages and other things indicating humans had resided in that area before the water had enveloped the area. It made sensational news because many (and not just Ballard) believe the flooding of this region was the genesis (if you will pardon the pun) of the flood story in the Bible.

Mark Taylor
titanicnewschannel.com

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Adam, the Bible is *not* merely a book of parables. Judaism and Christianity flourishes because the tenets of faith are based on what is believed to be *historical* truth. This is one of the most blatant and common mischaracterizations I keep seeing about the Judeo-Christian tradition and while anyone is free to believe or not believe, don't mischaracterize what the Bible purports to be to those who do believe it.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I understand that, Eric. I hope you understand that I only take it as being just another book.

Mark, I've attempted to follow Dr. Ballard's progress on the Black Sea project, though I must say I haven't kept up on it lately. Last I heard, his team had discovered a wooden shipwreck in remarkable condition.

Adam

Aug 30, 2003
I had the pleasure to meet Dr. Ballard at a conference here in Panama City, Panama and apparently wants to go back next year to the wreck of the Titanic and do a re-map of the site to see how its doing. Just thought you wanted to know that
happy.gif