Ballard's plaque

AL Glover

Apr 15, 2005
When the Big T was discovered the 1st time,,I thought I heard,read,ect wasn't a plaque left on board,does anyone know where the plaque was placed or what it said,

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
I know that there was one placed on the stern. It said something like "In memoriam of the 1523 who lost thier lives on Titanic April 15, 1912. Thats not exactly it but something like it.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
There was another plaque placed on that same expedition, the 1986 Ballard expedition. It was placed on top of one of the foc's'le capstans, and was an Explorer's Club plaque, asking that the wreck be left alone.

Adam

James Metzger

Jun 11, 2007
Hi Al,

The plaque on the stern which Dr. Ballard left in July 1986 read:

"In memory of those who perished with the "Titanic" April 14-15 1912. Dedicated to William H. Tantum IV whose dream to find the "Titanic" has been realized by Dr. Robert D. Ballard. The officers and members of the Titanic Historical Society Inc., 1986."

Unfortunately, the plaque has disappeared in recent years because the stern is slowly deteriorating and collapsing.

If you're interested, you can see video footage of the plaque toward the end of "Titanic: The Legend Lives On." There is also a great image of it in "Exploring the Titanic."

Best,

James