Barbara Personett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I have really enjoyed reading the informative postings on the Titanic. The postings have such expertise. I feel like a novice.

I have always been fascinated with the Titanic ship along with the awful tragedy. Maybe some of the fascination is due to my Great-Grandfather being a British Sea Captain in the 19th century.

I live in Indiana but have traveled extensively. One travel stop was Halifax, Nova Scotia where I visited the Fairview Cemetary along and then the Maritime Museum.

I will continue to enjoy the postings and in time hope to be as expertise as some of you are.

Barbara Personett

Hallo, Barbara and welcome.

I envy you your Great-Grandad - mine drove horse cabs rather than ships! Can you tell us anything about the vessel(s) he commanded?

Bob

Bob,
I assume he was the captain of some sort of passenger ship. His last name was Elliott. My Great-Grandmother came with him on a passage and met her first husband on the ship and was then married by her Father. Her first husband was not my great-grandfather. He came later.

Also, My Dad used to tell me about him rescuing a royal ship. Whomever the royalty was at the time recognized him with a medal. From what I remember Great-Grandmother carried that medal.

My brother was in Boston last year and found his signatures of where he signed in and out for his voyages.

Barbara

Barbara,

I think you may have missed out a 'great' in your first posting - the sea captain must have been your great-great-grandfather? He sounds like a very interesting character. Those records your brother saw in Boston would probably show the name of his ship.

If anyone in the family still has his medal, it could be inscribed with details of the rescue. It might have involved Queen Victoria's yacht 'Alberta', but plenty of other nations had Royal yachts in that period.

Bob

Jason D. Tiller

Hi Barbara,

Welcome aboard! This is the best site for all things Titanic.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Bob,

I just talked to my brother. He is the real family history buff in the family. He told me our great-great grandfather's name was James Elliott. He was based out of Philadelphia and his usual runs were from American to England.

When my brother was in Boston a few years ago he boarded the USS Constitution and he found a James Elliott logged as being one of the Captain's during the 1850's. Whether or not it was our great-great grandfather could probably be debated but it looks as though it could be a good chance.

That is all I know.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.