Barbara West

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I believe Mrs. West insisted her death be kept a secret
until after the funeral.<<

Colour me unsurprised at this. After the three ring circus which took place the last time somebody passed away, I'd want to keep things low key as well.

May she rest in peace.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I'm sure we'll hear more details in the next few days.

However, I am thankful that, as Michael stated, there was no "circus situation" following her passing.

Let us also hope that Millvina retains the privacy she now needs.

May Mrs. West (nee Dainton) rest in peace.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Today, it is official: Ms. West has died, and her funeral was recently held.

We will see when the family releases more information.

There is another thread:
Mrs Barbara West nee Dainton
that now covers the recent news. You can refer to that for the link to the Daily Echo article.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Now we will have to see what Ms. West's family has to say, and if she had left any notes or stories to share, especially ones she might have wanted issued post-humously.
If not, then her stories will her's alone, something we will have to respect.

Mar 15, 2001
Mrs. Dainton was a nice lady. I know when I wrote her back in the 90's she seemed very cordial. I knew that she didn't wish to discuss anything related to the Titanic so I didn't. I was really amazed that she sent me her photograph. I am so glad that her wishes concerning the news of her death were able to be met.

Apr 22, 2012
This is sad news, but she lived a long life and from what I've heard about her she was a wonderful person. I pray she's found peace in her eternal rest.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Very sad
sad.gif

Three years ago when I was in Truro I came in contact with her by a chance. The family at the bed and breakfast I was staying at know her personally and when I talked to them about my interest in Titanic they let me come to see her Titanic collection.

She was almost blind at the time in 2004, but she could still read the newspaper with a help of a magnifying equipment. She was kind enough to sign a copy of "A night to remember" with a very shaky hand, but what was most interesting was to see her own Titaniccollection.

For example she had several letters that had been written on The Titanic by her mother with the Titaniclogo on them. She also had a milkbottle from Titanic that her father had given her before she got in the lifeboat and lots of other interesting objects.

I was told that the objects would be given to a museum in Truro after she had passed away. Do you know if this will happen Brian? I really hope so.

this was very sad news
sad.gif

Mikael - Titanic Norden

J

Jeff Kelley

I know that the family would probably prefer not to be bothered with letters from strangers, but in the event that there is a place where cards/condolences can be sent, I hope someone will post it.

Aug 2, 2006
Dear Barbara has passed. May she rest in peace.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a different thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread about Ms. Dainton's death. MAB]

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The West family was traveling in 2nd Class.

There is another thread currently going on, about the death of Barbara West Dainton.
I recommend (as I am not a Moderator) that further discussions be held on that one.

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one immediately above it, originally a separate thread, have been moved to this pre-existing thread about Ms. Dainton's death. MAB]

Jan 29, 2001
...I was touched in a familiar way with the West passing less than an hour ago. Via the World News Tonight w/Brian Williams I have learned. Instantly my body became chilled and eyes became teary eyed. I called to share the passing with my Mother. Just as...on 1 Sept. '85 I had also called my Mother and, with excitement had shared the discovery of the wreck of TITANIC.

Our connection with TITANIC is ever so deep...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Mar 3, 2001
I just heard the news. May Barbara rest in peace and finally be reunited with her family. I'm glad to hear that her last wishes were able to be carried out.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm sure Brian T and others will be protecting Millvina. I don't envy them!<<

Nor do I, but as I said in a post which looks like it vanished into the eather, Between Brian T and the people at the nursing facility where Millvina resides, I hope they won't hesitate to be rude about it if necessery if some of the buzzards out there can't quite grasp that "Get lost!" means exactly that.