Barbara West

Julie Goebel

Feb 24, 2007
>>>Last Titantic survivor Barbara West Dainton dies, making "Millvina" Dean the Titanic's last living survivor<<< - Front page of Yahoo!

WOW, shouldn't that read second to the last? Leave it to the AP for writing one of the worst written headlines. I can forgive the picture of the Olympic but mis-spelling the word TITANIC!

Rest in peace dear....

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Quick "FYI": The obituary for Barbara West Dainton, from the Associated Press, has been printed/reported in various media.

I saw it in both the Los Angeles Times and New York Times today.

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
Yahoo is reporting that one of the two known survivors has recently died. Barbara West Dainton reported died in mid October but previously ordered that her obituary was not be made public until after her burial. Ms. Dainton was reluctant through out her life to discuss the Titanic. Her death leaves Milvinia Dean as the sole survivor alive.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071108/ap_on_re_us/obit_titanic_survivor

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in an unrelated topic, has been moved to this pre-existing one on Ms. Dainton's death. JDT]

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

RIP Mrs. West. May you find peace and quite and your father.

Regards,
João

Nov 11, 2005
I have an article taken from a newspaper, that talked of how Barbara and family said nothing about the Titanic from the day it sank until the day she died. She wanted to be buried before it was let out that she had passed away, and i can understand very much. I hope she rests.

-----------------
Lepuuttaa kotona järjestys Jokela kuolonuhri
Me jälkisäädös ei unohtaa

Jul 14, 2002
Hi All,

I feel that I have come across an inconsistency.

Under Edwy West's biography, Barbara's date of birth is listed as March 11, 1911, yet under her biography, her date of birth is listed as May 24, 1911. I realize that mose sources cite her birthday as May 24th, but why is it different in Edwy's?

Best,
Eric

T

Timothy Trower

I just wanted to mention that in the newly printed Commutator, Phil Gowan and I have an obituary for Barbara West; it gives the dates and details of both of her marriages. Hopefully this information can be updated on her biography page on ET.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Ah yes... Brian Ticehurst and others did the same in our last issue of Voyage a few months ago. Phil H. gets Voyage, so I am sure he will add it eventually.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Ah, but we did have the years... So, to read the article, and see the years listed, it didn't take much to go to findmypast.com and get the exact dates. However, I suppose waiting a number of months for the month and day would be interesting.

The story of her older sister was one of the saddest. Writing letters saying, "Dear Daddy, we have arrived and want you to come too." And praying every night for his return. The family had certainly endeared themselves aboard the Carpathia and inviting some Carpathia passengers like the McCauley's to come visit them when they went back to England.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
There are many poignant milestones in her family's story. I think it was a nice tribute that the baby her mother was carrying was named Edwina. Her schooling, her adventures in Spain, her love of sports and lipstick, losing her first husband only 13 or so years into the marriage. Certainly, those who knew her, had met a special lady.

T

Timothy Trower

You got the years wrong on the first marriage. Having a copy of the marriage license would have prevented that problem.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Isn't there, but one year in a first marriage?

Yes, a marriage certificate would have prevented that. Since we held the issue for the breaking news and made sure readers and Titanic enthusiasts had the most update info on the situation, did require us to take The Guardian at their word that she married Mr. Winder in 1938, instead of the recorded date in 1937. Have you penned a letter to The Guardian to inform them of their faux pas? Luckily, we always have a section reserved for any type of correction or follow-ups in new issues which is standard for any journal or newspaper.