Barczewski's The Titanic A Night Remembered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
Hi John,
although this book appears to be available in select bookstores in the UK and Ireland, it has not made it onto any of the new book internet sites yet. so for the moment, the only avenue for the rest of us to order the book is directly through the publisher.

I have had a copy pre-ordered through Amazon.com UK for some time, but have received no notice thus far that it has shipped.

bottom line is that the availability seems pretty limited for now, so that may be why you are not going to get much feedback for awhile.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

John Lynott

Mar 31, 2000
Addingham, Yorkshire
Nobody In UK or Ireland read Titanic: A Night Remembered yet? I was going to save it till our holiday in Co Kerry in June, but could not wait. A very good read which offers a fascinating insight into how the 'ownership' of the Titanic story is viewed on both sides of the Atlantic and in Britain and Ireland itself. I could not find any factual errors apart from the use of the 'JJ Astor at Waterloo station' photo.
PS: Our yearly holiday at the edge of the Dingle Peninsula offers us a glorious view of Tearacht, the most westerly of the Blasket Islands and the last site of Ireland, Europe and home that the third class passengers would see from their promenade deck. I am paraphrasing from Geoffrey Marcus's Maiden Voyage, but it is an excerpt that always moves me, alongside his description of the voyage from Queenstown along the west Cork coast. "Keep on course, QM!"....ooops, I'm going off topic.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi John.

I bought this book at the BTS Convention and have now finished it. I'm in a bit of a rush presently, but will try to post a coherent review later.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it very much indeed! (I found a few factual errors; will try to remember to post them but, in any event, they didn't detract from the overall content.)

Oct 13, 2000
I agree that this book was an interesting read. everyone should be aware though that if you are looking to read a book about the disaster itself, that is not what you are going to get. Barczewski's book is about how the disaster was perceived in the weeks and months following the tragedy, as well as how it is perceived in today's society.

I have written an extensive review, here is the link if you would like to read it:

http://titanicbooksite.com/barczewski_stephanie.html

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Thanks for the heads-up and the informative review. I'll have to look for this book.

It's interesting to note that the author lives within 20 miles of me as well

Mar 20, 2000
TMIB:

Thanks for a very thorough and interesting review. I am definitely going to buy this title and I look forward to reading it. Also, congratulations on the new look of your site!

Randy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Guess I'll have to get myself a copy of this then try to make some comparisions. It sounds like the theme is the same as Biel's work, but with a 2004 copyright date, I would hope it would be a little more current.

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
It is similar in theme to Beil's book, sans the flippancy about the subject you found in it. I would say more scholarly in tone and expanded in outlook, as well as more current. I thought it was excellent.

Jun 10, 1999
I recently purchased Stephanie J.'s writing..."TITANIC A Night Remembered", and however I am first and foremost a follower of pictures first, I did note that the author in fact captioned numerous photographs as being TITANIC, when in fact they are actually OLYMPIC. For example, in my collection I hold a real-photograph p.c. of OLYMPIC during her fitting out period. The author was quick to note, for the unbeknownst reader, the same photo as being TITANIC. I have of yet had a chance to encapulate the reading!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I did note that the author in fact captioned numerous photographs as being TITANIC, when in fact they are actually OLYMPIC.<<

Unfortuantely, this is quite a common mistake. You don't see it that often in works of a technical nature but it still happens. Since captioning happens at the publishers level, the author may not have had a lot to say about it. Since this work deals with the media reaction to the Titanic and everything that came of it from a cultural standpoint, I can over look it.

For anyone interested, Stephanie L. Barczewski's Clemson University webpage is at http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/faculty/barczewski.htm

[Moderator's notes: 1. This post and the one above it, originally posted as a separate thread have been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same book. 2. This thread has been re-opened in light of the two most recent posts. JDT]

Status
Not open for further replies.