Bathrooms

Hitch

Jan 6, 2006
Are there any pictures of the bathroom's on the Titanic (Private or public?)

Please, can someone post them. If not can someone tell me what was in it? Just a bath and a toilet, or also a sink, and anything ells?

Thanks
-Carl

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
There is a picture of a first-class bathroom in Titanic: An Illustrated History on page 57,another in Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy on page 127, and two in that book of a private first-class bathroom on page 130. Anatomy of the Titanic shows a second-class bathroom on page 147. Captain Smith's bathroom is illustrated on p. 57 of Ghosts of the Abyss, and The Discovery of the Titanic shows several toilet facilities on p. 184. One of my books also has an illustration of a as where a first-class female passenger is entering one of the common bathrooms, but as usual when you are looking for something like this, it seems to have vanished into thin air. I'll keep looking.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Nicely done Veronika,
but these are without a doubt Olympics bathrooms. Not to fear though...Titanic's were sure to be very close if not identical...
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Mainly due to the fact that there are only a very few images of Titanic that survive. Not many photographs were taken of her due to a)she sank on her maiden voyage and there wasn't enough time to properly document her and b) The Olympic was already sailing, and much of the interiors were the same...so to naturally, most of Titanic's pictures were that of Olympic. For instance, the Grand Staircase images you've no doubt seen are of the Olmpic. No stairwell images of the Titanic exist.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
That is correct Veronika,
None are known to exist, although who knows...perhaps there are some in someone's dusty attic.
All Ahead Full!
Shane

D

Diego Uriol

Hi, I'm new here and it's a pleasure to meet all of you.
Can anybody tell me why in the private bathrooms were a space for the bath and the lavatory and another space for the toilet only?
View Image

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Diego,

With some of the private bathrooms the bath and toilet or lavatory [same thing - They are usually shown on deck plans as WC] were in the same room. With others the toilet was in a separate compartment off of the bathroom. With others; such as with what you have depicted; the bath and toilet were completely separate. All in cases there was also a washbasin in the bathroom and I understand a fold down chair.

Hope that helps.
113698.jpg

113699.jpg

113700.jpg

113701.jpg

D

Diego Uriol

thank you Lester!
and pardon me if I got confused with the word "lavatory", because I'm from Peru and well, English is not my native language.
Bye!

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Diego,

Not a problem. Different countries have different terminologies. In describing what was in her stateroom a 1st Class passenger made mention of a lavatory. What she was actually referring to was the wash or hand basin.

S

sashka pozzetti

What kind of bathroom facilities did first class have? Did people share facilities or were there individual showers and tubs? I saw the Turkish baths on TV, and wondered if the normal bathing suites were as luxurious.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Sashka,

First Class bathroom facilities varied per deck they were located on. A-Deck featured communal restrooms and several private, public bathrooms.

The only A-Deck cabins to feature their own private bathrooms were A-36 and A-37.

First Class on B Deck was different. The period or special suites had their own private bath and rest rooms, while the cabins further fore and aft of these cabins made use of similar, communal restrooms and private bathrooms, the same is true of C Deck cabins.

D and E-Deck cabins would all have to share the communal facilities.

Best Regards,

Brian

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in a separate thread outside of this subtopic, has been moved to the one addressing the same subject. JDT]

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Most passengers even in 1st Class chose to pay only enough for a small, functional cabin with no private bath or toilet. The more costly suites did have these facilities, but space is at a premium in any ship so again they didn't offer much in the way of luxury (see the pics further up this thread). The private bathrooms did have washbasins with a heavy marble surround and a shower head with fresh water, but the public facilities provided just an enamelled steel bathtub with seawater taps and a jug of fresh water for rinsing off.

T

titanmarc

Question here, in the case of communal baths, or those passengers w/o a private bath, would they be required to make an appt.? What did a bathing attendant do, exactly, would he/she be required to actually bathe someone-this was not uncommon at the time for those who had body servants. What about the soap, did each new bather get a fresh bar or was one used continually?

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mainly due to the fact that there are only a very few images of Titanic that survive. Not many photographs were taken of her due to a)she sank on her maiden voyage and there wasn't enough time to properly document her and b) The Olympic was already sailing, and much of the interiors were the same...so to naturally, most of Titanic's pictures were that of Olympic. For instance, the Grand Staircase images you've no doubt seen are of the Olmpic. No stairwell images of the Titanic exist.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy
Same with the Reading & Writing Room. The pics often get miscredited to Titanic. In fact, there were no pictures of Titanic's R&W room ever taken.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So given that most 1st class passengers were using communal bathrooms, how did they handle being naked? Even if they spot cleaned surely those areas would be the first needing attention?

Considering the Victorian and Edwardian eras were incredibly modest, does anyone know how they handled this?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually I think there is a photo of the writing room.I believe Francis Browne took one in addition to the one he snapped of the Olympic writing room.