Bathrooms

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Actually I think there is a photo of the writing room.I believe Francis Browne took one in addition to the one he snapped of the Olympic writing room.
That’s not verified, just grape vine stories. My thoughts and others I’ve spoken too is that the carpet and furnishings look too worn to be the brand new Titanic.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Double checked over the weekend and yes there is a photo. Its in the book Last Days Of The Titanic which is an album of Frank Browne's photos. Apparently the quality of the picture was not to Franks liking , so he didn't include it in his initial album.But it is here and interesting to note that aside from the furniture placement the room and all architectural details are exactly the same as on Olympic.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Double checked over the weekend and yes there is a photo. Its in the book Last Days Of The Titanic which is an album of Frank Browne's photos. Apparently the quality of the picture was not to Franks liking , so he didn't include it in his initial album.But it is here and interesting to note that aside from the furniture placement the room and all architectural details are exactly the same as on Olympic.
I have seen that one. That’s the contested photo. I guess it’s more of a matter of opinion. One of my personal reasons is I think Titanic had a lip raising the Alcove which is described by Andrews in Shipbuilder. That photo has no lip so I believe it’s not of Titanic and Browne was mistaken. Also again the quality looks very worn

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Why would Browne be mistaken?He seems to have been an avid photographer who kept a meticulous record of what he snapped.Also I d like to know how people can tell how much wear and tear can be detected in a grainy black and white photo with shadows and elements that would be missing if it were taken in color.Ive seen the photos of Olympics room and it looks very well kept to me. Besides these liners were the cream of the crop so I doubt the company would let their furnishings get worn out and leave them that way considering the clientele that sailed on these ships.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Look, again this is more of a person to person belief thing but I’ve done a year of research on the Reading and Writing room for a project for the Titanic museum. So I feel confident in my opinions of that room.

Last edited by a moderator:

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Fair enough but keep in mind,some of the things described in Shipbuilder didn't come to fruition in real life.Certain changes were made as these ships went from illustrations on paper to actual reality.Besides like I ve brought up before Frank Browne was actually THERE on board , snapping photos. He had nothing to gain ,wasn't seeking fortune or anything.This is the guy who got the only photo of the ship's Marconi room complete with H Bride's head, and was going to toss it if the Titanic hadn't sunk..He felt the same way about his shot of the writing room.Besides the book that these are in was writen by someone who did research on all his Titanic related photos and the ones Frank took on the Olympic are clearly marked and separated from his Titanic photos. I don't think its fair or wise that we 21 st century people can say 100 percent that this is what it was or wasn't. Its kind of a slap in the face to those who were actually a part of Titanic reality,not those second guessing from a span of 105 years later.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Browne did not marked them all with the ships name and had them not in "order". (Also not all photos are taken from him, he has also photo from Kate Odell.)
The reading and writing room was behind the window screen (enclosed part) of the A Deck promenade, yet we see it nothing of it though the windows of the reading and writing room of his photos.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually the shot you're referring to is the view through the archway looking forward.There's another photo of almost the same vantage point were you can see the arched A deck windows There is another shot I just checked looking towards the sides and if you look closely you can see dark narrow squares that appear to be small windows outside the Writing Room ones.These darker squares are seen halfway up the room's windows and the photo itself has a rather dark appearance.You can also see a line running directly across the bottom half of the windows that are not panes.It looks like part of a bulkhead wall. Im not here to engage in banter, I' m just trying to use logic.Browne already had a photo(s) of this room on board the Olympic, why would he keep an inferior quality photo of the same area when he already had better ones? Also he could have just easily reboarded the Olympic to take more shots at a future date.In addition to the Marconi room, Browne also took a couple of shots of his A deck stateroom.Also inferior quality. All these photos would have ended up in the trash had the Titanic not sunk.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It would be easier if you can show the images from the Reading and Writing room you are referring to as there are several.

I would not call his cabin photos "inferior quality".

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Im referring to the photo facing the side that is darker and more shadowy than other photos. Also if you have the aforementioned book on Frank Browne's photos, you can see that the pictures of his cabin are not the best quality. One of them is very fuzzy....so no...not the best when compared to other pictures. Keep in mind that up until she sailed Titanic still had people working round the clock installing drapes, carpet, putting away dishes, glassware and all that. There's a photo of B 58 in Daniel Klistorner's book that shows dust on the center table.This would have been unacceptable and cleaned right before boarding time.So it's possible that the wrinkles in the Writing Room carpet had yet to be taken care of- hence the "shabby" look of the room.The majority of photos taken of Titanic interiors were taken shortly before she sailed, so workers and photographers were jostling each other side by side.Im sure it was very hectic those few days before sailing time.So maybe the press were taking photos of rooms that had to be perfected and cleaned up, and that's what got memorialized for the rest of time.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
>>There's a photo of B 58 in Daniel Klistorner's book that shows dust on the center table.This would have been unacceptable and cleaned right before boarding time.<<

That photograph was taken by Robert Welch in Belfast (about March 1912).
Browne was an amateur photographer so the quality is not the best as the photographs taken by H&W.

The photograph in the Browne book (yes I have it) is from Olympic. I have already discussed that photograph with Daniel Klistorner when helping with the book "Titanic in Photographs".

Reactions: Harland Duzen

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
That's one of the points I was trying to make- that several rooms were photographed before worker could spruce them up.Hence the shabby look of the Reading room

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Sorry I still don't understand which photograph you are referring too. This is taken by Francis Browne (on Olympic). It is not "shabby" looking, also it was taken when he was aboard (you can even see another person at one of the tables).

Titanic Reading and Writing Room.jpg

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
No its not that one sorry I can't post as Im not that tech savvy.Anyway the shabby look I refer to is not my doing, but referencing fellow member JJAstorII who said the room's carpets and furnishings had a worn look and not like the brand new Titanic.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually if someone could tell me how to transfer images I see online to this and other threads, it would be appreciated. I've tried before but have no luck.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There can be legal objections if you copy content from elsewhere and re-post it here. It's safer to post a link to the web page which contains that content.