Battleship Row at Pearl Harbor

A

Alex McLean

Can anyone tell me the precise positions of all of the 9 battleships in Battleship Row and their fate. I know the USS. Arizona was destroyed on December 7th, 1941 in the Japanese attack, as was the Oklahoma which rolled over with many of her crew still inside, but what about the positioning of the other ships there; the West Virginia, Nevada and Maryland etc.
If anyone could help me here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Dec 6, 2000
I'll try to explain, without a map it's kind tough.

Moored at the Northeast End - the Nevada
Forward of that - the Arizona, moored to the west of the Vestal, a repair vessel
Forward of that (to the south and west) - the Tennessee (my Uncle Robbie's ship!), moored to the west of the West Virginia
Forward of that - the Maryland, to the west of the Oklahoma.

6 battleships in this arrangement. Moored a ways forward, separate from these, was the California. Battleship Pennsylvania was moored across the loch, in dry dock, and the Utah (retired ship) was a target ship.

Ah, here's a good map at:
http://www.homestead.com/arizonareunion/map.html

A

Alex McLean

Thanks a lot Bill, the map and your information really helped. Was your Uncle Robbie aboard the Tennessee on December 7th?

Dec 6, 2000
Yes, he was, Alex. However, I only know what little I heard third hand from my mother years ago. Most of my family lived on the East Coast, my branch of it lived on the West Coast, and contact was few and far between. Robbie died a few years back, and the few times I talked to him was about the family, not Pearl Harbor.

I was told that the family (my grandma & grandpa & my dad) did not hear whether Robbie had lived or died for a month after the attack. Seems like the government was keeping things quiet, so the Japanese would not know how much damage they had done.