Battleship Yamato Movie

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Last week, the new Japanese film, "Otokotachi No Yamato" (Final Battle of Yamato) was released on dvd, and I recieved my copy on Monday.
Although my copy is region 2, and non-subtitled, I am really hoping they are going to subtitle it and release it in region 1.
The combination of computer graphics and a 1:1 scale set of approximatly 2/3rds of the ship make the scenes of the ship breathtaking! She really looks like she has come back to life.
If you have a chance to see this film, I highly recommend it-

James Wilson

Apr 6, 2007
Where can I get a copy of the DVD? Also are you aware of any subtitled versions? If not, I'd like to give it a shot. I'm working on doing something with the Japanese trailer as a demo.

It really puts the behind-the-scenes human dramas into deep relief.

Best,
James Wilson
www.japaneselv.com
jwilson@japaneselv.com

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Hi James,
If you go on Ebay, I was able to get a subtitled version, although it is a Chinese copy, but good quality (Chinese DVD subtitles can either be good, like this DVD, or really bad).
They usually go for about $10.00
"Deguchi No Nai Umi" (No Exit In The Sea) is coming out too- about a college student and baseball player who, when the war comes joins a Yokarin (Reserve Officer Training Corps) and is trained as a Kaiten pilot.
This release is also not English subtitled, but I hope one with come out with English.
I have a pet peeve about Japanese films without English subtitles- Hotaru is another I want to see, but it is not available with English.
It is really strange because my copy of "Hana Yori Mo Nao" is Region 2, but has English, and I just bought "Bokoku No Aegis", a great film about disloyal JMSDF officers, joining with a Korean terrorist, taking a Japanese Aegis DDG and holding Tokyo for ransom- Region 2, with English subtitles.
(CD Japan is a good place to go for these films-)