bbThe Only Way To Crossbb

Apr 23, 2002
I recently purchased The Only Way To Cross from Ebay and I am finding it an excellent read.
However, when I first received it, I thought the page size was very small - I was imagining a Coffe table sized book.
Is there a large scale version of the book and if so, does it contain any more images than the softback version?

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
The only versions that I have seen are the harback/soft back version that you describe. It isn't very big, but it is a excellent read. I am about half way through my second time. It is a great book to add to the collection.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Just the H/B and S/C issues. H/B is nice since the dust jacket folds out into a nice graphic chronology of the great liners. Other than that I think they're the same.

The single best title yet on the history of the North Atlantic (IMHO).

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Scott, I completely agree on the quality of Maxtone-Graham's work. He didn't stop with this book either. He's written several which are well worth picking up. Maxtone-Graham is one of those rare breeds of authors who can explain some very complicated issues...including the technical...in a way that's readable and understandable.

Brinnen's The Sway of the Grand Saloon might be more thorough, but have you ever tried reading through it? Yikes! I gave up after wading halfway through it.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
You're right about Brinnen's The Sway of the Grand Saloon. Informative book, but it reads like Charlotte Bronte. I can never get through more than a dozen pages before turning to something else (or falling asleep).

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
I especially enjoyed John Maxtone-Graham's chapter "Once and Future Normandie" in Crossing & Cruising. Nice what-if piece on what her life might have been like is she had not burned, but continued on through wartime and post war service.

B

Brian Hawley

Scott like you I enjoyed Crossing and Cruising Normandie chapter. I also thought JMGs description of a pre WW1 Aquitania passengers experience very interesting. JMG is a fine writer and one of the best speakers I have ever heard.

Brian

B

Brian Hawley

Thanks for the kind feedback Scott. My eventual goal is to include pages for Normandie, Empress of Britain, and Georigic. Your site is very good I have bookmarked it to look at it in more detail. In my memorabilia collection I have a bit of sub sea cabling that was supposedly laid by the Great Eastern. I have no idea about its validity still an interesting item.

Brian

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
On Sunday I had the luck to pick up a copy of John Maxstone-Graham's The Only Way to Cross, also published as The North Atlantic Run.

This is not a Titanic book, though it does include an account of the disaster. It's a general account of the 20th century liners that plied the North Atlantic. It's full of fascinating information about shipboard life, of which the author had personal experience. The story ends at the point where aircraft took over and only France and Queen Elizabeth 2 were operating. Highly recommended!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'll second that recommendation. Like Dave, I only recently acquired a second-hand copy of this book, which I think is more familiar to American readers. If I'd known how good it is I wouldn't have left it so long. Informative, funny at the right times, and with the same highly readable quality as the books of Walter Lord. Should be top of the list for those trawling the Amazon Marketplace, where a hardcover copy with jacket can generally be obtained for less than the price of the average new paperback. Do look for it under both titles.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
And if you want that, make sure to get the US edition, not the UK one which had the alternative title The North Atlantic Run and a plainer jacket.

Nov 12, 2000
Barnes & Noble did a nice hardcover reprint of this book in 1997. They are currently selling for very reasonable prices on the used book sites.

For those interested, Maxtone-Graham did a sequel called Liners to the Sun, which covers the transformation from ocean liners for travel to cruise ships for pleasure excursions.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It just so happens that I have a copy of Liners To The Sun. Quite an interesting read too since it showcases the history as well as the reality of cruising as opposed to the fantasy offered up by The Love Boat.

Jan 2, 2008
The Only Way to Cross was the first non Titanic specific book i ever bought and I've read it to death, literally! Missing dust cover, huge chunks of pages falling out.. but still readable! I love the way the book puts you on board those famous ships, the evocative descriptions of life onboard, really makes you feel as if your there when you read it. Tonya

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If it's that worn out, Tonya, you may want to consider replacing the copy you have. I think it's still in print, but if not, it shouldn't be a problem to aquire by way of the used book networks. This is a title which I think of as an essential for any serious historian's or liner buff's library.

Jan 2, 2008
I agree Michael, and I intend to replace it soon. I have a few Titanic books on order from Amazon at the moment, then I'll hunt down a new copy. Funnily enough I picked up The Sway of the Grand Saloon from my local library a few weeks ago, and got through it in roughly 2 hours, but then again I'm a real book worm and tend to have a knack for trawling through books like that!