Beautiful gif of the Olympic from overhead

Nov 14, 2005
I like it...pretty cool. Plus it clearly shows all four funnels had whistles on them which I asked about in another thread...Thanks

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Best Gif ever.

Also, it's interesting to see the A-Deck promenade covered up (to presumably prevent rain building up when docked for an extended time.

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
Just love this. Such a cool angle that we aren't used to seeing of the Olympic class ships.

View attachment 42483
From what I've been told this is footage of Olympic laid up and awaiting her final, awful end by scrapping. It kind of gives the whole image a sadder tenor to it: even near the end of her life she was a stately sight, Olympian in bearing to the last.

Hopefully I am not the last one to say that Old Reliable deserved better than the fate she met with (and shared with Mauretania, and later Aquitania) -- an ignominious, appalling end that could only be explained by the cold hard laws of economics.

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Best Gif ever.

Also, it's interesting to see the A-Deck promenade covered up (to presumably prevent rain building up when docked for an extended time.
Looks like the first two funnels have some kind of conical cover on them as well.

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
From what I've been told this is footage of Olympic laid up and awaiting her final, awful end by scrapping. It kind of gives the whole image a sadder tenor to it: even near the end of her life she was a stately sight, Olympian in bearing to the last.

Hopefully I am not the last one to say that Old Reliable deserved better than the fate she met with (and shared with Mauretania, and later Aquitania) -- an ignominious, appalling end that could only be explained by the cold hard laws of economics.
Yes. It's just so, so, so sad. Having the Queen Mary is nice and all, but good grief, imagine if that were the Olympic instead? That would be a major, MAJOR tourist attraction. I doubt many people make specific trips out to Long Beach just to see the QM, but many people would make special trips across the country and the world to see what is essentially an existing Titanic.

Reactions: Tim Aldrich
Nov 14, 2005
Well she was a beautiful looking ship, unlike many of the lunch box looking ships they make today. Thanks again for posting.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Notice the totally impractical doubled up lifeboats. Try launching that lot in a hurry!
Right, which brings me always back to the reality of Titanic. True, Titanic did not have enough lifeboats to have capacity for everyone on board; however, what if she did? Even at the rather slow rate at which Titanic sank (compare Titanic to Lusitania), there was not enough time for the officers and crew of Titanic to launch all of the lifeboats Titanic was equipped with; and this, despite the fact that Titanic's evacuation was ordered as soon as the serious nature of her condition was known for certain, and the dedication of her officers and men to their duty during the evacuation.

Not that I believe, even in 1912, sea going vessels really should have been allowed to sail without the lifeboat capacity for a ships full compliment. It's just that I get really quite annoyed with the focus on lifeboat capacity that has become part of the popular lexicon regarding Titanic and her loss. In the very particular contexts of the evacuation of Titanic, were she loaded with lifeboats in the way Olympic was post Titanic I suppose more people may have been saved, but only because there would have been more floating un-launched lifeboats for people to scrabble onto after Titanic was gone.

Reactions: Kyle Naber

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Don't quote me on this because I am uncertain, but that is exactly what it looks like. See this demonstration of a wooden 'life raft' from 1941. Whatever is on Olympic's officers quarters looks very similar; however, I do not recall any launching apparatus for these sorts of boats being installed on Olympic. Then again, I am very far from an expert on Olympic post her conversion to oil firing.