Beautiful gif of the Olympic from overhead

Nov 14, 2005
I like it...pretty cool. Plus it clearly shows all four funnels had whistles on them which I asked about in another thread...Thanks

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Best Gif ever.

Also, it's interesting to see the A-Deck promenade covered up (to presumably prevent rain building up when docked for an extended time.

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
Just love this. Such a cool angle that we aren't used to seeing of the Olympic class ships.

View attachment 42483
From what I've been told this is footage of Olympic laid up and awaiting her final, awful end by scrapping. It kind of gives the whole image a sadder tenor to it: even near the end of her life she was a stately sight, Olympian in bearing to the last.

Hopefully I am not the last one to say that Old Reliable deserved better than the fate she met with (and shared with Mauretania, and later Aquitania) -- an ignominious, appalling end that could only be explained by the cold hard laws of economics.

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Best Gif ever.

Also, it's interesting to see the A-Deck promenade covered up (to presumably prevent rain building up when docked for an extended time.
Looks like the first two funnels have some kind of conical cover on them as well.

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
From what I've been told this is footage of Olympic laid up and awaiting her final, awful end by scrapping. It kind of gives the whole image a sadder tenor to it: even near the end of her life she was a stately sight, Olympian in bearing to the last.

Hopefully I am not the last one to say that Old Reliable deserved better than the fate she met with (and shared with Mauretania, and later Aquitania) -- an ignominious, appalling end that could only be explained by the cold hard laws of economics.
Yes. It's just so, so, so sad. Having the Queen Mary is nice and all, but good grief, imagine if that were the Olympic instead? That would be a major, MAJOR tourist attraction. I doubt many people make specific trips out to Long Beach just to see the QM, but many people would make special trips across the country and the world to see what is essentially an existing Titanic.