Beckwith or Clarke in photo

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Randy Bingham,
You mentioned in a different thread that there was some question as to whether the lady in the Carpathia picture with the Harders with her back to the camera was Mrs. Beckwith or Mrs. Clarke.

This is the first I've heard of this. Can you fill me in on the deatils?

For the record, if it was "Mrs. Clarke" it was probably first class passenger Mrs. Walter Miller Clark (without the "e" at the end) of Los Angeles, California and not second class passenger Mrs. Charles Valentine Clarke (with the "e") of Sacramento, California.

Mar 20, 2000
Mike,

Now don't you dare spell my name incorrectly - I won't stand for it! It is "Bigham" - as in Lord Mersey's surname (who is actually a distant cousin, a geneologist assures us) - and not "Bingham." Bing's are for cherries. I'm Big. Can you expect anything less from "Bid D?"

Anyhow, the thing with the Harder photo is not a topic I believe I can speak to with authority. I'm only going by what I've read. In Lord's book where I first saw the picture (although it actually first appeared in "Harper's Weekly" in 1912)the name is given as Mrs. Charles M. Hayes, so forgive me for saying Clarke. I meant Hayes. But in a later book (I don't know which?) and here on the ET bio page for the Harders, I think, the name of Mrs. Beckwith is given. I don't see how anyone can know unless one of these women or the Harders later said exactly who it was because one cannot tell since her face is totally hidden. Poor lady, I've always felt so sorry for her as her body language suggests she is crying and is aware of the camera pointing toward her. Also the expression of sweetness on Mrs. Harder's face is moving. I've always felt this picture was one of the most compelling taken on Carpathia.

Randy

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Sorry Big Randy:
The thought just occurred to me that I made the same mistake with the Clarke name a year ago and Michael P. corrected me. I think there was a Mrs. Clarke on the Carpathia.

Mar 20, 2000
Hey, Mike and others,

I want to clarify re: something since I just got an e-mail from somebody thinking I know Lord Mersey's family! We engaged a geneologist years ago to track down stuff & quite by surprise Sir John Charles Bigham (Lord Mersey)came up. I and some other relatives are questioning this as the connection is through a brother of Mersey's or somebody who was a cousin to a cousin of ours whom we never heard of so, who knows? I have just found it too weird to find out after all this time that there might be a Titanic connection within my family. Stress on MIGHT, people. Wish I "know'd fer sho."

Randy

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Mike:
If you go down to closed threads you can read my question about the person with George and Dorothy Harder. Mike Findlay and George Behe both had interesting theories, but Blackmarr definitely says Mrs. W. I believe it could be Mary Wick.