Beds

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As I understand it, beds were provided at the rate of one per full fare paid. It was expected that two children would share a bed if they were both travelling half fare. Where a suite of rooms had been booked in 1st Class it was common for very young children to share a room with their nursemaid.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
There is (was?) no correlation between passage paid and beds. Cots are made available for infants otherwise everyone of whatever age must be provided with a bed.

It is unsafe to so share shipboard beds because of the increased risk of getting 'debunked' in heavy weather.

Noel

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Noel, the later policies you mention make good sense, but back in 1912 the health and safety issues were not yet fully appreciated. White Star had this to say to prospective passengers: The right is reserved to charge full fare for one child occupying a whole berth, one fare being charged for two children under 12 occupying one berth.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Were the beds in the 1st class areas (specifically B deck) affixed to the floor, to prevent them moving during heavy seas?

Cheers

Paul

Jul 20, 2000
Paul,

As I understand it just about all of the furniture in both the public rooms and the staterooms [all classes] were fixed to the floor.

D

diana handley

Has any one worked out how many beds were on the Titanic.
Including double,single and bunkbeds.
In first,second and third class,
hospital,officrs,crew,workers,firemen etc.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if anyone has done an exact inventory, but you might find that to be an interesting research project if you're up to it. For whatever it's worth, the Titanic's Passenger Certificate certified the ship for 3547 passengers and crew broken down as follows:

1st Class: 905
2nd Class: 564
3rd Class: 1134
Crew: 944

Source: BOT Enquiry Into The Loss of the S.S. "Titanic", pg 912, Passenger Certificate 1415 as appended to the Minutes of Evidence.

D

diana handley

Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply.
Its a start to my goal..
Do you know how many beds were in the hospital wards.and were there any sick beds for the crew.

What got me thinking about the beds was the manifest of the Titanic.
It said there were 7.500 blankets.
Working it out to two blankets each bed.7094
That leaves 406 blankets.
Allowing some for the hospital say 50
And some for accidents that might have happened.another 100
It still leaves 256 blankets not being accounted for.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Do you know how many beds were in the hospital wards.and were there any sick beds for the crew.<<

No. Not offhand. I wouldn't read too much in to how many blankets were carried aboard the ship. For obvious reasons of health and sanitation, they would have to carry some replacement bedding, especially if it got soiled or ruined somehow.

D

diana handley

Hi
Still on the subject of beds.
I know that third class didn't have cots for there young ones.
But what about first and second class.
It was a ship that was said to have every thing.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As far as I know, 1st and 2cnd class had nice normal beds. I suspect a mere cot would have been out of place in the fancier digs, but I could be mistaken. Still, I've never heard of any such being used on the ship. There was more then adaquate bed space for everyone so there was no need.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Actually, there were cabins with bunks on two levels throughout the ship. Lawrence Beesley mentions commandeering an upper bunk in second class. These were evidently pretty basic affairs.

In first class there were some beds that had above them what were termed Pullman berths, from their origins on trains. These were folded up against a partition and lowered as needed. These can be seen on page 31 of Father Browne's Titanic Album.

The wonders of Titanic's accommodation, like so much else, have been wildly exaggerated. She was permitted to carry up to 905 first class passengers. You don't carry numbers like that by using cabins like the famous private suites. Most of the first class accommodation would be outdone by any half-decent modern motel.

I've never seen anything on children's berths. I wouldn't assume there were any.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mike, I think you and Diana have used the word 'cot' in two different senses. You are thinking in military terms, but in Britain the word generally refers to a cradle for a baby. Two nations divided by a common language!

Jul 20, 2000
Looking at a 2nd Class Fare Rate booklet several rooms are marked: "Sofa in Room sufficiently large to accommodate one child. The size of each sofa is indicated on the plans."

All of the designated rooms were 2-berth. I count ten 2-berth rooms that did not have this feature.

D

diana handley

hi all
english word cot =a small bed for a young child/baby
also know as cradles and cribs.