Been itching to write my own screenplay

May 12, 2009
So, I've been itching to pen down a legitimate "Titanic" screenplay for the past few months. I remember as a kid, when my obsession with the ship was at its peak, I wrote dozens of TItanic scripts and they were all quite dreadful (They were all written circa 8 to 12 period of age.)

Well, I'm an experienced writer now and feel like writing another one, just for the hell of it, to "settle scores" with my earlier screenplays.

I've been wondering, would it be too dreadful to add a fictional subplot to the script? I know just about every "Titanic" film does it... But would it really be that much of a bad thing? Of course, I imagine my fictional lead to be a lot more bitter and less melodramatic than the infamous Jack and Rose pairing...

I've been thinking of maybe having a fictitious apprentice of, say Thomas Andrews, meeting up his social climber ex onboard. The female character would serve as a gateway to life on 1st Class, while the male one would run various ship errands and open to doors to life in 2nd, 3rd classes as well as the crew. Naturally, I don't intend to give anywhere near as much scene stealing focus to the fictional couple as the Cameron film.

Does that sound like a good concept? Or would everyone on here consider it a blasphemy adding anything remotely fictional to Thomas Andrews?

May 12, 2009
Would love to! Especially someone to help me polish up Edwardian and British slang...

DAMN! The chambermaid coal bunker shag sounds like an intriguing idea!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
>>>>> So, I've been itching to pen down a legitimate "Titanic" screenplay for the past few months. <<<<<<

Actually, that would be a great idea. So far, there has NOT been a proper screenplay for a Titanic film and that's why every movie comes up short in one form or the other. Even A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, the best of the lot, has quite a few script deficiencies - eg the imaginary Christening scene, people (including Captain Smith) calling the Titanic 'unsinkable', Captain Lord in his pajamas, Lightoller popping up at just about every corner of the ship etc.

The trouble is, the Titanic IS special whether one likes it or not; a connoisseur's dream. So normal rules do not apply, including scriptwriting for a film. As discussed elsewhere, a certain amount of artist's licence is inevitable, maybe even desirable, with movies about most historical events. But not so the Titanic. The events surrounding the Titanic are too specific, too concentrated and too special to allow anything more than the slightest licence in a script. That's why I dislike Cameron's film so much, despite its success and awards.

If you are serious about a new movie script for the Titanic, make it like the script for TORA! TORA!! TORA!!! was for the Pearl Harbour attack and most certainly not the film PEARL HARBOR.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A fictional subplot is not out of place in my opinion, depending on what sort of film you want to do. However, if your goal is historical accuracy, I'd do away with it. There are enough real stories about real people which can be researched by way of any number of sources from the newspapers...some of which might even be accurate...to the inquiry transcripts, and these are stories which deserve a hearing. Nobody needs Jack & Rose or any variation on that theme.

May 12, 2009
"If you are serious about a new movie script for the Titanic, make it like the script for TORA! TORA!! TORA!!! was for the Pearl Harbour attack and most certainly not the film PEARL HARBOR."

Can I meet you half way and make it "From Here to Eternity?" Aside from thinking of adding a few fictional characters to aid the narrative, I don't want to alter any historical details.

"A fictional subplot is not out of place in my opinion, depending on what sort of film you want to do. However, if your goal is historical accuracy, I'd do away with it. "

Can't a film be both? I guess a lot of people got turned off to fictional subplots (which just about EVERY Titanic movie included) after the overly smothering, sentimental love story in Cameron's movie, but I would never dream of pulling something like that... As I said, I'd like my fictional characters to serve as gateways to various social circles and real life people on the ship, to sort of help connect all the numerous true stories into one coherent narrative.

LOL... Regarding Lightoller in ANTR, I think he got all the best lines and scenes just so that the Rank producers could seduce Kenneth More into making the film.

PS - Ryan, don't you mean Jenna Jameson as TAMARA Andrews? ;-)

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
>>>>>A fictional subplot is not out of place in my opinion, depending on what sort of film you want to do.<<<<<

Yes, there lies the crux of the point of why a film about the Titanic would be so different from those like the American Civil War, Russian Revolution or the Pearl Harbour attack. Apart from being a very concentrated event, people like us have dissected the Titanic saga so deeply (Look at the other posts; So much discussion about whether Captain Smith did something at 12:05 or 12:15 & so on...and all very interesting too) that it is impossible to CONVINCINGLY introduce fictional characters into the scene.

If I told you that there was a man named Kenneth Milne somewhere during the Civil War or the Pearl Harbour attack, no one can prove otherwise. I might even get away by suggesting that a British visitor named Kenneth Milne was caught up in the Russian Revolution. But if I try to insist that there was a passenger or crew member named Kenneth Milne on board the Titanic, there would a 100 posts & protestations producing convincing evidence that there wasn't before the day ended.

As I said, Titanic is a one off and will remain that way.

May 12, 2009
Hmm... So much to consider... I'll start taking notes for my screenplay in a bit. Would you guys like to keep track of it?

Mar 3, 2010
Yes. Sorry, thought I would just pop in! It sounds like a good idea. As long as you have a scene in the Reading and Writing room. Haha. I've always wanted to see something happen in the Reading and Writing room.

May 27, 2007
Is Jenna Jameson still gonna play Thomas Andrews?? Enquiring minds want to know!

I would also like to see something in the Reading and Writing Room! Jenna Jameson as an attendant in in the Reading and Writing Room?

Actually I was given to understand that the Reading and Writing room was a place for Women to retire to after dinner but it being the 20th century the women just wouldn't retire! So it was never used for it's purpose so you all should use it for something!
happy.gif

May 12, 2009
LOL, I'll have a scene where the Takarazuka Revue does a try-out of their new all-girl musical in the reading and writing room. ;-)

May 27, 2007
That would be a fun thing to see!
happy.gif
What point or message do you want to get a cross (if you have a point or message) about Titanic?

I always wanted to do a story about the Steerage and the position they found themselves in on April 15 1912 at 2:00 in the Morning!

May 12, 2009
Well, I always wanted to show some of the more interesting, but seldom referenced true stories and disspell some myths; like show that the horrific loss amongst third class was NOT due to evil stewards locking the gates, but was in fact due to severe lack of communication.