Beesley Book On Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
They can ask anything they want. Doesn't mean they're going to get it though. Should be interesting to see if it sells.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Irresistable echoes of Henry IV Part I there, Mike -

GLENDOWER: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

HOTSPUR: Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do call for them?

Oct 13, 2000
Hey Michael,
as with any collectible book, the value is in the condition first. from the description, this copy on eBay has some problems, though it doesn't sound like anything too serious. the loose pages could be tipped back into the book, for example. still the overall condition would be termed only "good" in the lingo of the trade.

booksellers with first printing copies of Beesley's book in similar condition are asking around $200 for their copies.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack)

Sep 26, 1999
Yes, according to articles in the paper recently. It was Beesleys book that helped hook Walter Lord on the subject of Titanic.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hey guys!

I have to confess this came as a complete surprise to me - I had not heard this. And I wouldn't put too much stock in it (JMHO here) for this reason - If Lawrence Beesley's book got Walter Lord hooked on the Titanic, why didn't Lord interview Beesley? In Lord's acknowledgment page he makes no mention of this if Lord did interview him and only one sentence to indicate Beesley's book.

However, if you or anyone has any information regarding this I would love to hear it.

Best regards,
Cook

Jan 7, 2002
I do believe Beesley was a consultant for the A Night To Remember movie, as there are photos of him on the set of the film, so Walter did know Beesley..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Better than that, Tarn, there is footage (brief and the only known I've run across) of Lawrence in "The Making of 'A Night To Remember'". However, I'm not sure if it was Walter Lord or William McQuitty who contacted Lawrence. Daughter Laurien wrote that her father was asked by the producer for his 'angle' of the event in both writing and with a tape recorder (Yow, would I LOVE to hear THAT!); I have seen a portion of the written work, which went on sale through Ken Schultz's group.

Still, if you know something, please let me know your source. Sadly, I can find no voice recordings nor even one color photo of Lawrence Beesley.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
I missed it when it went out, Mike. However, I DID notice another one, which, the last time I looked, was over $300 - go figure.

Best regards, O M
Cook

Dec 28, 2006
My wife who visits Charity Shops, bought me
The Loss of the SS Titanic. Lawrence Beesley,
published by F.A.Thorpe Leicestershire. First Charnwood Edition published 2002. It is in excellant condition. The large print version.
Cost 50p. Are we talking of the same book ?
GORDON.

Jo Durant

Apr 15, 2005
Apologies, I have come into this discussion way too late and the ebay link is now invalid. I was wondering how old the book is that is being discussed?
I found one for 12 fine UK pounds just this weekend on a second hand bookstall in London, dating from 1929. I was astonished! Have never delved into my purse quicker than I did when I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.