1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner model-making advice?

Discussion in 'Titanic Models and Modelmaking' started by harrietelizabeth, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Hi there! this is the very first post i'm making so forgive me if i'm doing it all wrong!
    over the years i've collected a few large model kits but most of them seem to have quite a high level experience wise and i've never tried any kind of modelmaking. I'm just wondering if i should purchase a few beginner ones or if i'd be okay getting stuck into a more difficult one?

Tags:
  2. There are some very talented modelers that are here. Maybe they could steer you in the right direction. Welcome to the board. Lots of really good info here.

3. thank you! i've just been snooping on here for a while but i thought i'd actually get involved for once, yeah i'm hoping i can get some good advice, would love to get started!

4. CM1971

CM1971 Member

I was in the same boat (no pun intended) a few years back and decided to go with the Revell 1/1200 then worked my way up to 1/570. So just scaling up helped a lot. Eventually went all out on the Minicraft 1/350. Whew what a difference it is! Not only do you have to deal with railings but rigging as well. Eventually you get used to how every corner of the ship looks and you will feel more comfortable with it.
    So tl;dr version: start small get comfortable then go big. Good luck!

Edit: also forgot to mention after I had upgraded to the minicraft 1/350 I also made a custom conversion of a another revell Titanic 1/570 and made it into the HMHS Britannic.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Paul E Burke

Paul E Burke Member

I have been buying different versions of Titanic models and plan to start building them over the winter. I'm starting simple and working up.
    The models of the wreck I have seen are amazing, I have no idea how they are made, and the massive amount of research that goes in to them are insane!

Good luck to you!

6. thank you ever so much! i'm going to do exactly what you've told me to do seeing as it does make a lot of sense, wish me luck!