Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
I've just enjoyed Senan's article about the huge redevelopment at the old shipyard taking place in Belfast.

I can't see a link anywhere (sorry if it's already been posted somewhere), but if you want a seriously jazzy view of what the Titanic and Olympic's birthplace will look like in time for the centenary, then go to this link:

http://www.titanic-quarter.com/

Just as spectacular and luxurious, I think.

May 13, 2007
Can you please send me some addresses to some wonderful Titanic related locations there? I'm sure I'll be able to find the former Harland and Wolffe Shipyards with ease, but other sites, such as the famous drawing room, the dry dock, and any museums would be amazing!
Thanks in advance!
-Ashton

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi y'all. I've been looking at the Belfast general area/Harland and Wolff shipyard. I've noticed a BUNCH of tourism opportunities.
Are you able to climb down into Titanic's drydock, for example? How many of y'all have been to Belfast?

Jan 23, 2019
I lived in Belfast for two years, but I spent most of my time working. I'll help where I can.

Titanic's drydock is a gated-off tourist attraction associated with Cafe 1404 (at least, it was as of December 2018). You have to enter this cafe to purchase tickets for the drydock and pumphouse. I'm not aware of its current operations. You do have to walk a bit up the street from Titanic Belfast to it and the entrance is poorly advertised. It's currently sandwiched behind a few modern corporate buildings. If you're there, check out the Caroline. It's a great attraction in need of love.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks. If the people of Belfast saved Nomadic, they can save Titanic's drydock. Literally, if they told anybody they would destroy/change some original Titanic thing, people would come out of the woodwork and raise an uproar.

I was wondering how people got down there, if it was gated off. Do you know how much tickets/admission costs?

Jan 23, 2019
The Nomadic is suffering herself, admittedly. It's great in theory to have her in the drydock that they likely used to finish her, but ships are not meant to be out of the water for extended periods of time. If I recall correctly, Nomadic has been out of the water on keel blocks for 14 years (since 2006). That has taken its toll on the structure of the ship which is now noticeably sagging. They can't float her because her hull has sensitive, rusted areas that would give and flood the ship, which no longer has watertight compartmentalization. Any leak anywhere would sink her. In my mind, they need to invest the money to make her seaworthy and flood the drydock, at least on occasion, for extended periods of time.

It would be a shame if she were to survive all she has only to end because her caretakers couldn't be bothered to do their jobs correctly.

You have to enter and exit through Cafe 1404. 1404 is a reference to the 14th of April, apparently. Something I didn't get until I was told by the guide.

I can't recall the admission prices, but I recall feeling it's a pittance compared to literally any other popular attraction in the city, even across the entirety of the UK. I think it was £5 or less for a guided tour, which I wholeheartedly recommend. Unless it's miserable weather (which, you know, Ireland) or you're tight on time, I cannot justify going to TB and not going to the drydock.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
that's horribly ironic. I fully agree with you on Nomadic's situation.

As soon as I turn 18, I'm going to Belfast. If I can get over my fear of planes, that is ;)

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
The Nomadic is suffering herself, admittedly. It's great in theory to have her in the drydock that they likely used to finish her, but ships are not meant to be out of the water for extended periods of time. If I recall correctly, Nomadic has been out of the water on keel blocks for 14 years (since 2006). That has taken its toll on the structure of the ship which is now noticeably sagging. They can't float her because her hull has sensitive, rusted areas that would give and flood the ship, which no longer has watertight compartmentalization. Any leak anywhere would sink her. In my mind, they need to invest the money to make her seaworthy and flood the drydock, at least on occasion, for extended periods of time.

It would be a shame if she were to survive all she has only to end because her caretakers couldn't be bothered to do their jobs correctly.

You have to enter and exit through Cafe 1404. 1404 is a reference to the 14th of April, apparently. Something I didn't get until I was told by the guide.

I can't recall the admission prices, but I recall feeling it's a pittance compared to literally any other popular attraction in the city, even across the entirety of the UK. I think it was £5 or less for a guided tour, which I wholeheartedly recommend. Unless it's miserable weather (which, you know, Ireland) or you're tight on time, I cannot justify going to TB and not going to the drydock.
oooo, I should make a thread about Nomadic's situation. Would you be open to throw ideas around on how to save her, or just talking what's going on with Nomadic?

Jan 23, 2019
I would be glad to give any insight I can. I have a personal connection to that ship.

For the sake of full disclosure, seeing as Christian Pierce is my real name and I'm now discoverable, I worked at Titanic Belfast from May 4th, 2017 to December 12th, 2018. I started on Nomadic, which is a subsidiary of TB, just before high season 2018 and remained until the end of my tenure. You can imagine I have a lot to say, but for the interest of not slagging on my employers on practical grounds, I will be careful and therefore discriminatory in what I disclose.

What I will say outright is, without exaggeration, my coworkers there saved my life. I was in a very dark spot in my life and their hospitality, willingness to be my friends (which they still are) and sheer love-ability has caused me to be in a much better spot as a better person. I still miss them dearly every day.

I know your fear of planes. I drove out to Halifax, Nova Scotia from Toronto, Ontario because I refused to take a plane.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Wow, thanks. Here's the thread for Nomadic:

If a ship takes people to Belfast, Ireland, I will gladly go. (I think personally, we should bring back the Ocean Liners!)

Nov 14, 2005
Sounds like its changed since 2012 when I was there last. Everything was pretty much open. You just walked around and checked things out. But even then it had changed from the first time I was there. They were working on the Nomadic so you couldn't go aboard her. I took the car ferry from Scotland (south of Glasgow) to Belfast as a walk on. It was a good trip and pretty hassle free. So if your in England already thats an option if you don't like jets.

Nov 14, 2005
There's a pic I snapped of her in the thread below. The exterior was pretty much done but they were working on the interior so that was closed. But that pic is 8 years old now. You can see pics of her on the net of what she looks like today.

Last edited:

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thank you for the photo. (I read over my post, meant to say, "Did you go 'Titanic Seeing',", sorry)
I've seen her current state. But from the regular photos, it tells a different story of a beautiful, shiny, almost new ship.
Photo from "Lost Worlds, (Season 2, episode 7) Inside the Unsinkable Titanic:
1601417708773.png

Side note: I wish they had working telegraphs, I could sit there all day and ring them haha