Belfast

Southampton

I was in Belfast in 2016 and was able to walk around the dry dock and pumphouse, but had to go to Cafe 1404 to get the tickets, as Christian Pierce mentioned. There was a railing around the dock and there were some pictures of Titanic while she was there and I tried to snap some photos from the same angles to create a then/now montage. It's only when you get down there and look up that you realize just how massive she must have been, it's incredible.

I also went to Titanic Belfast and was able to get on Nomadic (it was included in the ticket- but even if it wasn't, I still would've bought it, it's worth it).

What an experience this trip was, but the highlight for me was definitely the dry dock. It brought tears to my eyes. I've been saving money to go there and do it all again in the future. I'm attaching some pictures, for those interested (I had a really bad camera at the time, that's one of the reasons why I also want to go back and take some more HQ photos)

DSCN2672.JPG

DSCN2690.JPG

DSCN2694.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
I was in Belfast in 2016 and was able to walk around the dry dock and pumphouse, but had to go to Cafe 1404 to get the tickets, as Christian Pierce mentioned. There was a railing around the dock and there were some pictures of Titanic while she was there and I tried to snap some photos from the same angles to create a then/now montage. It's only when you get down there and look up that you realize just how massive she must have been, it's incredible.

I also went to Titanic Belfast and was able to get on Nomadic (it was included in the ticket- but even if it wasn't, I still would've bought it, it's worth it).

What an experience this trip was, but the highlight for me was definitely the dry dock. It brought tears to my eyes. I've been saving money to go there and do it all again in the future. I'm attaching some pictures, for those interested (I had a really bad camera at the time, that's one of the reasons why I also want to go back and take some more HQ photos)

View attachment 77572
View attachment 77573
View attachment 77574
Nice pics. Thanks for posting them. I'll throw in couple when I was there last. Pretty much the same other than they had a lot of people there and they wouldn't let you actually go to the bottom that day. I'm not sure that the pumps were the same as Titanics time but I could be wrong about that. I remember thinking they weren't very big pumps but that's because I'm jaded in that regard because of what I used to work on. Anyway glad you had a good trip. Both times I've been to Belfast I've had a good time there. Cheers.
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3442.JPG

Thomas Krom

On this plaque there are 3 names who have a direct connection to the Titanic. John Miller Andrews (1871-1956), who was the prime minister of Northern Ireland from 1940 to 1943, was the older brother of Thomas Andrews Jr. The name under his also has a direct connection to Thomas Andrews Jr since John Milne Barbour was the brother of his wife Helen "Nellie" Reilly Andrews (maiden name Barbour, she later remarried in 1917 to Henry Harland). John Milne Barbour was the Minister of Finance under the brother of his late brother-in-law, from who he succeeded as well. Lastly there's William John Pratten who was the head of the engineering department over forty years, a director of the engine works was George Cumming, who was a close friend of Thomas Andrews Jr.

Last edited: