BELGENLAND PHOTOS

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
I heard back from the author/collector in Belgium who has written a book on Red Star. I hope he wouldn't mind my quoting him, in part:

"I have in my collection 8 or 9 very fine brochures on the Belgenland, but I have to inform you, to my regret, they are all in black and white, not one brochure in my possession is in color. Also the museum in Antwerp have no brochures on her in color and as far as I know I don't think they exist."

So Jim Kalafus's Belgenland dining room color renderings would apparently be a stunning discovery to this gentleman who is one of the biggest Red Star collectors/authorities around. I have alerted him to Jim's post above so that he can keep an eye on the Gare Maritime site for the image(s)' debut.

In the meantime, I'm glad to know that my "test" mail went through okay to you, Michael. I have not received your confirmation back, though. Come to think of it, I don't recall providing you with a current e-address. The one you replied to may be some older one, as you and Mark said.

Well, I specifically wrote my current e-address in my mail to Jim and asked him to reply to that, so he has it. Hopefully he will read it and not just click "reply" to whatever old address he got the message from, which, if he did, explains why nothing has arrived.

I will drop him another private note, now that I know my messages are being sent okay.

Thanks to all again for your comments and advice.

Ken

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Come to think of it, I don't recall providing you with a current e-address.<<

The e-mail address was the one that's a part of the information that comes through in the PM and is likely the one in your profile. You might want to update it in case you need to contact somebody that way. (For obvious reasons, you need to be very discreet about who you give it to.)

Since my reply never bounced back, the address may be an old account of yours that's still active. Good luck with the research.

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Michael,

I checked, and the e-mail address in my Profile/Preferences is correct, the one I currently use. Odd that when I write someone and check the box "Send copy of this message to myself," none arrives in my in-box (both my two mails to Mr. Kalafus and the "test" to you.)

I've kept a close eye on my spam folder to see if perhaps the copies of my mails that I requested, and the responses to them, may have somehow been funneled there, as you postulated. Nope. All mails that were automatically sent to the spam folder are there to peruse, and none relates to this discussion.

Ken

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
In answer to my query about color rendering(s) of the dining room in Belgenland (1914), Mr. Kalafus posted on 10/23:

"There was a lavish color brochure I picked up a few months ago, the images from which will eventually go up on Gare Maritime. There is also at least one tinted postcard that may, or may not, reflect the true colors."

Jim, if you are reading this, as you have not responded to my two e-mails or posted again in this thread, I guess I will just have to join others in patiently awaiting the grand debut of these apparently rare color images on your Gare Maritime site, as you indicated.

I have since corresponded with several collectors and authorities, and none has ever seen any such colored views of Belgenland's interiors, much less her dining room specifically. You appear to have quite a unique brochure, and I look forward to seeing the image(s) posted on Gare Maritime.

Ken