Benjamin Laventall Foreman

Feb 6, 2004
Some information on Benjamin Foreman:

Benjamin L. Foreman born Nov 1881 Albany, NY.
Parents:
Henry W. Foreman , a prosperous Hapts Merchant
(born Dec 1855 Chicago,IL died 1925 Manhatten, NY)
and
Rose Laventall (born 1859 Germany died 1939 NY)

siblings:
Benjamin Born Nov 1881 (he was the eldest)
Elliot S. Born Jul 1883
Robert N. Born Apr 1886
Edwin Born Jun 1888
Jules L. Born Jun 1892 died May 1968 Md. Lucy Fox
Frank L. Born Jun 1894

also..
Henry W. Foreman was the son of
Benjamin Foreman and Rose Heymann
who were German Immigrants married at Chicago,
Feb 22, 1852. (He was Bavarian and she from Hesse Darmstadt) Rose survived him, she died in
1903, at Albany, NY.

Jim Bianco

May 12, 2005
Benjamin Foreman was in the financial end of the fashion business in New York but had apparently worked as a buying agent at one point for a textile house. Aboard Titanic he made friends with Edith Rosenbaum (Russell) and is mentioned by her in some of her accounts. She referred to him in one 1912 interview as "B.L. Foreman."

According to her, he was with a firm called Kugelman, Frankland and Foreman but had previously been connected with the lace manufacturer, Einstein, Wolff and Co. ("for many years," she said).

In her words, Foreman "was coming home from Paris, having made the most wonderful connections. He had the most brilliant future ahead of him. He went down nobly."

May 12, 2005
In addition to this information, there is some clue to Foreman's activities on board Titanic in material that George Behe has. He has graciously loaned this to me for my story on Edith Russell but the bulk of that data will be in George's forthcoming book. Each little piece of the puzzle helps to flesh out the lives of these men and women and the work that's going into books like George's will be, in the end, such a moving tribute to the victims and survivors.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Here's the text of an article I submitted to the White Star Journal a couple of years ago--note that Ben Foreman's mother's maiden name was LAVENTHAL instead of Laventall.

THE LAST SIGHTINGS OF BENJAMIN FOREMAN

Benjamin L. Foreman was a 30-year-old Jewish man traveling first-class on Titanic. A native of Albany, New York, he was one of 6 sons born to Henry W. and Rose (Laventhal) Foreman. After a brief trip to Europe he intended to return to his home in New York City. Mr. Foreman was single and after his death, his family obtained an affidavit from Samuel Goldenberg detailing what they knew of his fate. This account served as proof that Benjamin had indeed perished on Titanic and allowed his survivors to settle his estate, valued at $10,000.

AFFIDAVIT OF SAMUEL L. GOLDENBERG

SAMUEL L. GOLDENBERG, being duly sworn, deposes and says:

I reside at Nice, France. I am a director of the Corporation of Goldenberg Brothers, Eighteenth Street & Fifth Avenue, New York City, Borough of Manhattan.

I was a passenger on the steamship Titanic of the White Star Line on its maiden trip.

I was introduced to Mr. Benjamin L. Foreman before the departure of the steamer from Southampton, England by my step-son. I met him twice in Paris previous to the sailing.

I spoke with Benjamin L. Foreman, several times during the voyage.

I saw him last on board the steamship Titanic, about 10:15 P.M., ship’s time on April 14, 1912, about an hour and a half before the accident and conversed with him for fully fifteen minutes.

In the early morning of April 15th, 1912, the steamer foundered; I saw the Titanic go down into the ocean. I was saved in one of the small boats and was picked up with several hundred other passengers on the steamship Carpathia of the Cunard Line, which landed the survivors at New York City, April 18th, 1912.

I looked for Mr. Foreman among the survivors in the Carpathia but did not find him.

So far as I am aware there was no one saved from the Titanic, other than those on the Carpathia.

I was chairman of a committee which held a meeting on the Carpathia, which committee prepared an official list of the survivors on said Carpathia. This list was given to me by the purser of the Cunard Liner, SS Carpathia, in whose possession I believe it now is. Mr. Foreman’s name did not appear on this list.

I was on the small boat for four hours until picked up. In all that time I saw no other vessel on which the said Foreman could have been saved nor do I know any vessel except the Carpathia on which any person was saved.

Sworn to before me this 24th day of April 1912.

Samuel L. Goldenberg.

Edith Russell was also asked to provide an affidavit but was unable to do so due to illness. Through her attorney, Simon T. Stern, she stated that her residence was 45 Merrill Road, Far Rockaway, New York. She further declared that she last saw Benjamin L. Foreman on the steamship Titanic at 11:00 P.M., April 14th, 1912, sitting near her in the library and that she saw him walk out of the library with a book under his arm.

But it would be Abram Lincoln Salomon who provided the last first-hand information on Ben Foreman’s movements aboard Titanic.

“I last saw the decedent at five minutes before one o’clock A.M. on April 15th, 1912.

“After I had left my room for the last time, I saw the decedent, Benjamin L. Foreman, standing in the companion-way on either deck “B” or “C” being two or three decks above the deck on which my stateroom was situated. At that time Mr. Foreman was standing with Mr. Clifford and Mr. Maguire, of Boston, Mass. He had on a life-belt when I saw him, also a steamer rug; I spoke to him and to the others and told them I was going on deck and asked them to follow me. That was the last time I saw him.”

Unfortunately, the men did not follow Mr. Salomon. Had they done so, it is quite likely all three would have been saved.

The body of Benjamin L. Foreman was never recovered and his estate was divided between his parents and brothers Elliott, Robert, Edwin, Jules, and Frank.

May 12, 2005
Phil,

Great stuff. I knew you had the goods but didn't know you'd published that piece.

Foreman was among several businessmen that Edith Russell recalled socializing with on Titanic. The others were George Rheims, Herman Klaber, Robert Daniel, among others. She also met a number of the other fashion buyers including one of the Gimbels Department Store buyers (she doesn't specify if it was Calderhead or McGough) and a number of buyers from Toronto (unnamed).

After she got off Carpathia, she went with her parents to a cafe frequented by the rag trade to meet friends who asked her for news of the others in the business who had sailed on Titanic and she did her best to recall names and faces of those she'd met. She was also later in touch with some of the victims' families, Foreman being one. It would seem Foreman had a girlfriend who contacted Edith for information on his last hours.

Randy

Charles Finn

Aug 5, 2016
Phil,
Great stuff. I knew you had the goods but didn't know you'd published that piece.
Randy
Thanks for all of this information. I am trying to find a picture of Benjamin Foreman at the request of his relatives. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might start looking? My first thought was here -I fear that if there's not a picture here, there may not be one to be had...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Finn