Berengaria/Leviathan/Majestic spotting features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Zukas

Jun 19, 2000
No doubt the experts can (given a reasonably clear broadside view) distinguish the three German liners instantly. How?

For instance, if you go to
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=105
and look at page 8 of the second sticky thread (on old pics of New York), scroll down about 23% of the thread to the first pic in post #154. (It will take some time to load, with all those pics.)

He says that's the Leviathan. Is it? How can we tell?

L

Luke Mack

judging from the smoke stacks I would say it is White Stars Majestic.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Nope, the person that uploaded the photo is correct; it is definitely the Leviathan. Just compare it with the photos on the great ocean liners site, which he posted two posts down. The superstructure is identical, plus the funnels are too far spaced between each other, for her to be the Majestic; let alone a White Star liner.

What a terrific image.

L

Luke Mack

majestic
98815.jpg

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
I don't know about that, Jason. Those sure aren't US Lines funnels, which were red, topped by a white band and a blue band above the white one. Whatever two colors those funnels are, there are only two colors, not three, and clearly no white.

After cleaning my magnifying glass, I've compared this photo with photos in Braynard's Leviathan, Streater's Berengaria and Braynard's Classic Ocean Liners, as well as the photos (not postcards) on Great Ships (which I still, for some reason, prefer to Great Ocean Liners). Paying particular attention to the bridge and the spacing of the windows fore of and below the lifeboats on the lower promenade deck, it seems to me that they match Majestic and don't match Leviathan or Berengaria.

Based on that, I too think it's Majestic.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hmmmm...the superstructure looked different to me in that photo for some reason Mark, but looking at it again, you and Luke are right. Thanks, I stand corrected.

As far as Great Ships goes, I also prefer it to Great Ocean Liners. I think it may have something to do with the layout. Speaking of which, the search feature seems to be down at the moment.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
I think it may have something to do with the layout.

LOL! I think it's the writing style, but I may not be the most objective reviewer.

;-)

Speaking of which, the search feature seems to be down at the moment.

Yes, it does. I'll email Jeff about that.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
The bridge and the spacing of the windows fore of and below the lifeboats on the lower promenade deck of the Majestic and the Leviathan look certainly similar, however the Berengaria's are distinctly different.

Due to the fact that the Majestic/Bismarckand Leviathan/Vaterland were built by Blohm+Voss while the Berengaria/Imperator was built by Bremer Vulcan.

Status
Not open for further replies.