1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Best Britannic Books

Discussion in 'Books Web Sites TVMovies etc' started by Platnmz, May 5, 2018.

1. Platnmz

Platnmz Member

Hello everybody,

I've been looking for a good book on the HMHS Britannic. It is really hard to find anything or any good reviews. I value everyone's opinion here and was hoping for some insight. I have just finished 'The Olympic Class Ships' and loved it!! Now I am more interested than ever in the youngest sister. Thanks for any insight.

Tags:
  2. I would recommend "Hostage to Fortune - The Dramatic Story of the Last Olympian - HMHS Britannic" by Simon Mills.
    There is also "Britannic - Schiff der tausend Tage" by Armin Zeyher which is only in German as far as I know. However Britannic researcher Michail Michailakis is currently working on his Britannic book adding some new material.

3. Mark Baber

Mark Baber Moderator Member

As far as material in English is concerned, Hostage to Fortune is THE book devoted solely to Britannic, IMHO.

Ioannis, how far along is Michail on his book?

4. I am not sure, he stated it on his Facebook page but can not remember if he is planing to finish it this year or not. He recently was in Belfast finding some new stuff including unknown information about the elevators aboard (which were all in function when covered into a hospital ship).

5. Mark Baber

OK. Thanks.

6. Platnmz

Platnmz Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I will be looking for a copy of it online. It's a real shame that Britannic is ignored so much. I feel that she is a wonderful ship with an honorable story. Thanks again.

7. Hi,

I hope to finish the book before the end of the summer. It will be focused on the crew and the medical personnel.A large part will be about the organization of the hospital on board.The latter is a tricky subject since not much is available but I think I've located the resource I was looking for. As soon as I get access to a copy things will get much easier I hope.

Regards,
    Michail

8. Mark Baber

You'll let us know when it's available, right?

;-)

9. Andy Burgess

Andy Burgess Member

I've not noted that book, but would recommend reading Titanic Survivor by stewardess Violet Jessop. Her description of surviving Britannic's sinking must is been a terrifying experience. Her description of sailing on Titanic and Olympic is also eye-opening.