Best Looking Ocean liners

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
I would have to say Titanic. The enclosure on A-deck gave her a more modern and sleeker look over the Olympic, but I also like Olympic's simple and traditional design as well.

Clearly White Star liked the look as well to include it in Britannic's design but it seems after that nearly every ship since Titanic had there promenade decks enclosed right up to the Queens, ie (Majestic, Berengaria) She did indeed set the standard as others have mentioned.

Nigel

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I actually have a profile painting of the Windsor Castle that I bought at the Department Store "Target" about 5 years ago. Oddly enough, the gantry davits are not included (although i have seen many photos of her and her sister with the gantries)

The ship sort of reminds me of a Lusitania/Olympic hybrid.

Steve

Mark Ling

Apr 12, 2005
Regret that I am coming in very late with this one, but regarding the bow letters "Q E" from Queen Elizabeth. The letters are displayed outside Wall Street Plaza on Pine Street/Water Street in Manhattan. The building [I believe] is still owned by OOIL (Orient Overseas International) the parent group of OOCL (Orient Overseas Container Lines). Whilst OOCL is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange it is still largely controlled by the Tung family. CH Tung became chief executive of Hong Kong (retiring recently). His brother CC Tung is Chairman of OOCL. I worked for OOCL (in the UK) for 8 years and was seconded to Wall Street Plaza for 2 years. Full address is:

OOCL (USA) Inc
Wall Street Plaza
88 Pine Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10005

Jun 13, 2006
I've been thinking about this for a while. I've divided the "Age of Ocean Liners" into four eras - the first would be from the early days before steam (The East India merchantmen were the ocean liners of their day) up to the end of the 19th century, the second is from Oceanic II of 1899 (which was the first ship to exceed the size if not tonnage of Brunel's Great Eastern) up to the end of the 1920's, the third is from 1930 marking the introduction of the first superliners up to the mid 1980's, and the fourth is from the introduction of Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas in 1988 (Surely the first of the modern era of passenger vessels) to date.

So here are the liners I think were the most beautiful ever built in their individual eras.

1) S.S. Great Britain (1845)
2) R.M.S. Titanic (1911)
3) S.S. Normandie (1932)
4) R.M.S. Queen Mary 2 (2003)

Love Rich x

K

Kyle Johnstone

The "Q" and "E" from the Queen Elizabeth, in New York, have apparently been removed.
Does anybody know where they have gone?

Mar 20, 2007
For my money, the 'Olympic' class would be hard to beat in terms of both exterior profile and elegant interiors. And since the 'Titanic' improved on her older sister in various ways, I would have to say that she rates as my favourite liner of all time, quite apart from the sensational circumstances of her demise.

As a lover of art and decoration, I feel that the English companies, White Star and Cunard, achieved the best results when fitting out the first-class quarters of their vessels. White Star excelled at the 'floating hotel' look - if one was fortunate enough to find oneself in the Louis XV lounge or on the Grand Staircase of the 'Olympic' or 'Titanic', I really do feel that one could have convinced oneself that one wasn't at sea at all. The smoking rooms aboard both ships displayed real originality in their decoration - the combination of illuminated stained glass and mother-of-pearl inlaid panelling was really something rather special. The Turkish Baths were similarly striking; such exoticism aboard staid British ships must have come as something of a surprise!

The interiors of the 'Mauretania', 'Lusitania' and 'Aquitania' were subtly but discernably different. I've always felt that their interiors were somehow more 'nautical' in feel - a trend that later Cunarders, like the 'Queen Mary' and the 'Queen Elizabeth', followed. Although not as large or as grand as her White Star contemporaries, I do have a real affection for the 'Lusitania' - the use all over the ship of exquisitely moulded white plasterwork produced a light and airy atmosphere which I much prefer to the dark and heavy woodwork of her sister. The 'Aquitania' was impressive, and her staircase, garden court and dining saloon were lovely in their way, but the famous Palladian lounge was not a total success.

The 'Imperator' and 'Vaterland' were very mixed quantities. The 'Ritz' restaurant aboard the 'Imperator' ranks as one of my very favourite ocean liner interiors - I would have forsaken the dining saloon entirely! And the swimming pools of both vessels were truly epic, unquestionably the greatest that ever went to sea. But, as some critics observed at the time, several of the public rooms succumbed to a gloom and pomposity which renders them unattractive in my eyes.

Although it is far from an original observation, the 'Normandie' of 1935 was, in my opinion, the greatest, grandest and most beautiful liner of the inter-war years.

Larry Ellman

Nov 25, 2007
I'm new to the board and late to this subject, but here is my list:

Pre-WWI Mauretania
France
Post WWI Paris
Bremen/Europa
Conte di Savoia
Normandie
Mauretania II
Nieuw Amsterdam
Queen Mary (the sight of her tied up
at pier 90/92 or making her
way down the Hudson and out
to sea made for the ultimate
in liner sightings)
Post WWII A. Doria/C. Colombo
Leonardo da Vinci
France

Z

Zack Wyatt

I like the Normandie's sleek design, but I hate the way the bollards and other deck equipment are hidden underneath the foredeck and poop deck of the liner. The Titanic looked beautiful with them on top of the deck.