Best Movie Ending Of All Time

Mar 28, 2002
...according to a Diet Coke poll anyway.

1. Titanic
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. The Italian Job
4. Casablanca
5. The Usual Suspects
6. An Officer And A Gentleman
7. The Sixth Sense
8. ET
9. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
10. Four Weddings And A Funeral

30100-12826313%2C00.html,http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12826313,00.html

I wonder if they've also done a "thank God that's finished" poll. My number 1 would be The Thin Red Line, but that's another story.

Cheers,

Boz

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Planet of the Apes (original version, of course) ought to be in there somewhere. Too much evidence of short memories (or lack of years) in those reader surveys. Geriatrics like me know that all the best endings were pioneered a long time ago, and my number one would be James Cagney's ambiguous death scene in Angels with Dirty Faces.

If I'm going to nominate a Titanic-related film for the 'Thank God...' award I guess it would have to be Atlantic (1929)

Mar 28, 2002
I had the opportunity to see Atlantic a couple of weeks ago. Yep, it IS awful but also very peculiar to watch so it kept my attention for that reason alone.

Also saw the German "Titanic" (I wish I knew how to do Italics). It was shameless. You would have to be a complete dummy to fall for that story. But attention was kept for the same reason....

Even more shameless than the introduction of "Chiquitita" in Mama Mia! in the West End last month. However, that was so hilarious that the whole audience was rocking back and forth with laughter.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
To get Titanic you type \i{Titanic}

Yes, Atlantic is an interesting experience (and unintentionally funny) for a while, but I'd had enough long before the closing credits. I must say, though, that the final scene where crew and passengers from all Classes await their common fate in the First Class lounge is the best in the film and quite moving. I've yet to see the German film, but keen to have the opportunity. Surprised it hasn't been released on dvd on its home ground, where (I'm told) it has classic status not far short of ANTR.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
German flick is a hoot and a half - always makes me think of that line in Blackadder: 'crammed full of sizzling gypsies!' For once, it's not the Irish kicking their heels up in the obligatory steerage party, but rather Eastern Europeans (does anyone remember if their nationality was specified?). Only think I vaguely remember about the ending is our Heroic German Officer lead sending Ismay off in a lifeboat to face justice, only to have him get away scot-free. Oh - and Peterson's little bit on the side donning an officer's coat and helping load boats. By that stage, the shots probably kicked in and my German flatmate got sick of translating.

Film endings? If I want sob-into-the-pint it'll be Out of Africa. Period drama and 'wonder what did happen' goes to Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You can't beat a good James Cagney ending. Who needs "King of the World!" when you can have "Made it, Ma! Top of the World!" (That will mean nothing to anyone under 50) :)

Mar 28, 2002
My mate Katie sobbed all the way through the end of Schindler's List when the remaining survivors placed stones on the grave of Oskar Schindler in Jerusalem. And Rebecca de Mournay crying uncontrollably at the funeral of her husband Kurt Russell in Backdraft.....

Good grief, it worked!!!

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Have to throw in Grapes of Wrath myself. Toms farewell talk to ma, and her final lines in the truck are classic.
-Don

K

Karin Kasper

That final scene in "Schindler's List" got me, too.

How about "The Others"? I just sat there saying "Holy @#$%" again and again while the credits scrolled for that one.

Jun 18, 2007
The ending of the first Star Wars movie...a pretty danged good representation of inner self overcoming the limits and pitfalls of technology.

A

Alicia Windsor

I have to put in a word here for Gone with the Wind, it's my second favourite film of all time. I loved the ending... although I suppose I'm just a Scarlett at heart. The ending never fails to have me in tears. Titanic's ending satisfied me because it gives me just enough closure. I guess I'm a big crybaby or I've got a lot of growing up to do.
happy.gif

By the way, I haven't been around in a long time, I missed this board so much! You've probably all forgotten me by now... tear! I'm in my first year at university and I got too busy to come here much. But now I've settled down a bit and I hope to become a regular again. Great to see you all again!

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I'll go with ya' on Gone with the Wind.
We even have a cat named Tara.
Nice to see you back Alicia!
That's my daughters name!
Take care, Don

A

Alicia Windsor

Tara is a great name for a cat! And it is great to be back, thanks for the welcome, Dave. I've been visiting other, non Titanic related boards, but I always come back here.

Leona Nolan

Dec 17, 2002
Hi, haven't been on the site in a while, trying to read and catch up now - wow you guys have been chatting while I was away
happy.gif

'Gone With The Wind' - definitely!!

How about 'My Best Friends Wedding' - yay or nay???

M

Mary S. Lynn

"Rosemary's Baby" is my vote. Delete the dreadful sequel and stick with the original.

Second vote goes to "Picnic at Hanging Rock". What really happened there? Since this was based on a true story, can any Ozzies shed light? (At least we got closure with "A Cry in the Dark"!)

Favorite USA Foster's commercial:
"Great White Shark...Australian for FISH."

M

Mary S. Lynn

"Picnic" is fiction? Geez - I've been hoodwinked all this time!